How to copy IE9 Internet Options
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to copy IE9 Internet Options

How to copy IE9 Internet Options

Is there a way to copy IE9 Internet Options|Security settings in English other than make several screenshots?

The registry only has the code names in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

Though most of the codes are translated here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;182569
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Any ideas?
    Jim

What is your goal with this? If you are wanting to be able to easily restore your IE9 security settings or recreate them on another computer, you might be able to use Group Policy to acomplish that.

Links:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&site=&s...w=1112&bih=779

jdc2000--I want to compare them among several PC's.

I do not think I will use it, but your link does not seem to work.
    Jim

I have scripting disabled in my INTERNT ZONE almost ALL THE TIME and one time i tried to disable them IN THE "MY COMPUTER" zone and some apps had issues i remember.....

If none did,i would leave them disabled there also!!

I had to change the "Flags" value of ZONE 0 to 47 (The "My Computer" zone is hidden by default ON ALL OS's)

My "My Computer" zone is set to HIGH security...
    Last edited by Dude111; April 18th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.

jdc2000--Thanks, but
    The first link you suggest seems to offer a list of Default settings. (Or have I misunderstood?) What I want is a list of the existing settings on my PC's.

Concerning the other links, I have no Group Policy settings.
    Jim

I realize that you may not be using the Group Policy settings for IE, however, the Excel spreadsheet is what you need. It lists the registry keys you would need to compare to see if the settings on various computers are the same.

Of course, depending on how many computers you want to compare settings on, and how often you want to compare them, the screen capture method may be faster. If you have lots of computers or need to compare frequently, then it would be worthwhile to develop a procedure or program to extract the registry data and compare it.

BackRex - Internet Explorer Backup
    http://backsettings.com/internet-explorer-backup.html

BackRex Internet Explorer Backup is a backup and restore tool for Internet Explorer. It allows you to backup favorites, history, proxy settings, fonts, dialup accounts, autocomplete passwords and cookies.

BackRex Internet Explorer Backup can help you to move all your Internet Explorer settings from one computer to another, even if it has a different version of Windows and/or Internet Explorer installed (for example from Internet Explorer 8.0 to Internet Explorer 9.0 or vice versa).

With Scheduled Backup feature you can backup all your data on a regular basis - daily, weekly or monthly.
    What exactly is backed up?

Below is the list of data and settings saved and restored by BackRex Internet Explorer Backup:
    Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0
    • Favorites
    • Proxy & connection settings
    • Security zones
    • User customizations
    • Cookies
    • History
    • Dialup accounts
    • Form Autocomplete entries

[...continues...]
    Tip: When running it, uncheck the "Use compression" option so you'll be able to read|compare the files.

jdc2000-
    the Excel spreadsheet is what you need ???

Having the data in an Excel spreadsheet would be fine. But where do I get the data?
    Jim

SpywareDr--I was hoping that BackReg would do the job. When I ran it I got a ton of data, but it does not seem to provide the Internet Options|Security tab data in English. (Lots of numbers like 1204--just like the Registry.)
    Or can you direct me to that info?

P.S. BackRex produces files like .bzp . Luckily, 7 Zip opens that.
    Jim

The Excel spreadsheet at the link in the previous post shows which Registry entries are used to control the various settings. If you want to automate the comparison, you would export or otherwise grab the registry entries (can be done with VBA macros), and put them into a spreadsheet for each computer, ideally with the entry for each value on the ame row in each spreadsheet. Then, you can compare the spreadsheet values to see which of them are different. You could probably also use the BackRex values to do the same thing.

jdc2000--
    The Excel spreadsheet at the link in the previous post shows which Registry entries are used to control the various settings
    I assume you are talking about
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=9409
    which is described as "This spreadsheet lists the policy settings for computer and user configurations included in the administrative template files (admx/adml) delivered with Windows Internet Explorer 9. "
    What does this have to do with my present settings? I have never knowing used or modified Group Policy.

I think I know where the Registry info is, but it is in code for each setting.

What I want is just a way of creating a PC's Internet Options|Security settings|Custom Level list in English so I can compare the list from one PC to another. It looks like the way is to take multiple screenshots. I was hoping there was a way to do it more quickly.
    Jim

There is no way to get the info in English that I know of unless you write your own software or find a program that someone has already written. The method I described would allow you to compare the settings though.

As I mentioned, if you are comparing the settings form lots of computers or doing this task frequently, then an automated method might be worthwhile. Otherwise, screen capture printouts might be your easiest method.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post

SpywareDr--I was hoping that BackReg would do the job. When I ran it I got a ton of data, but it does not seem to provide the Internet Options|Security tab data in English. (Lots of numbers like 1204--just like the Registry.)
    Or can you direct me to that info?
    When comparing gadzillions of lines like that, setup the computer do it. It'll be a lot more acurate in pointing out the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post

P.S. BackRex produces files like .bzp . Luckily, 7 Zip opens that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post

Tip: When running it, uncheck the "Use compression" option so you'll be able to read|compare the files.

Thread Information