XP Eradication day

Thread: XP Eradication day

XP Eradication day

Nick.

Sooo... I think it's unfortunate the article is written as if people think XP will just stop working, but I suspect there is a hidden message from Microsoft: Get Windows 7 while you still can, you're really not gonna like Windows 8...
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Sooo... I think it's unfortunate the article is written as if people think XP will just stop working, but I suspect there is a hidden message from Microsoft: Get Windows 7 while you still can, you're really not gonna like Windows 8...
    I like XP fine, and will probably skip 8. Security updates are highly overrated. I haven't found any reason to use 7 either.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I'm fine with XP too, and there's no reason individuals shouldn't happily keep using it after the support cutoff. Some folk are still using Win98 because it suits their requirements. All but one of my computers still run XP, for 64 bit I use Win 7 - both are fine to me. A corporate environment where security must be certified can't continue with an OS without security updates.

I think the warning we are getting is that Win 7 looks like being the final MS OS to follow the traditional path Windows has been on - the GUI we're used to, legacy support, and as such will probably be the final, most polished XP-like OS. I think Microsoft's hint is that anyone wanting to preserve the current platform in the medium term and postpone the paradigm shift beyond Windows 8 should be transitioning to Win 7 now.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

I'll just jump in to this topic to say I like XP much better too. I'm not worried too much about losing the updates, I have anti virus and a firewall installed.
    I've got a Dell XPS 9100 with an Intel core i7 extreme cpu with 2.33 GHz and 12 GB of ram. It actually boots up slower that my XP machine and with less start up programs installed.
    Yes it is a Win 7 machine and I've had trouble with it and had to get the gurus here to help me sort it all out with the permissions and things. It just doesn't fit my needs I don't like not being able to tweek it the way I want it.
    I rarely use it and I'll just stick with my trusty XP machine, it has enough ram and speed to suit me just fine.
    Just my 2 cents in this topic.

... medium term and postpone the paradigm shift beyond Windows 8 should be transitioning to Win 7 now.
    Is this English? (emphasis is mine) He-he.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some folk are still using Win98 because it suits their requirements. ....
    Using XP's not comparable to using Win 98, which is not at all secure on the internet. It's fine if you don't connect...

... medium term and postpone the paradigm shift beyond Windows 8 should be transitioning to Win 7 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post

Is this English? (emphasis is mine) He-he.
    Medium Term
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-term
    To differentiate an interval or duration, common phrases are used to distinguish the observance of length are near-term or short-term, medium-term or mid-term and long-term.
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mediumterm.asp
    An asset holding period or investment horizon that is intermediate in nature. The exact period of time that is considered medium term depends on the investor's personal preferences, as well as on the asset class under consideration. In the fixed-income market, bonds that have a maturity period of between five to 10 years are considered to be medium-term bonds.

Paradigm Shift
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradigm+shift
    a radical change in underlying beliefs or theory. [C20: coined by T.S. Kuhn (1922--96), US philosopher of science] ...

Transition
    http://www.learnersdictionary.com/se...nsition%5B2%5D
    to make a change from one state, place, or condition to another ...

Sorry, didn't know that an OS is the same as a bond. :-)

In the late 90's I got my first computer with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 while every one else was using 95&98. A year or so later I got a 98SE machine, before the year was over, Millenium came out, then 2000 and a year or two later XP. I was still stuck with 98. Just about 2 years ago I finally got XP. I'm used to lagging behind in computer technology. But I am very satisfied with my XP machine now. I have all SP's and updates, and it works just fine for me. If I can I'll hang on with it for a few more years, unless a used Windows 7 machine drops into my lap.
    What I fear the most, is the disappearance of the computer tower.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    *** Help others less fortunate.

JESUS IS LORD !

Quote Originally Posted by davidgsmith View Post
    What I fear the most, is the disappearance of the computer tower.
    Dave
    Same here. I think everything will converge into something like an Ipad. I'm not interested in being connected all day, so my cell phone is of only average intelligence.

Thread Information