April 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Good to hear. Thanks for posting back.
Originally Posted by cima2003
April 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Microsoft WordPad version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629 : Service Pack 3)
my WXP is servicepack 2 does it matter if this is 3 ??
April 8th, 2012, 11:36 AM
you mean I unzip it and it will install a new version on top of the old one??
April 8th, 2012, 11:44 AM
No, it won't install anything. It's simply a copy of the WordPad.exe file on this Windows XP Professional computer with ALL available Microsoft Windows updates applied, (including Service Pack 3).
Unzip the file, then copy the extracted WordPad.exe file overtop of your WordPad.exe file.
To determine where your WordPad.exe file is, click Start, point to All Programs, select the Accessories folder > right click WordPad and select Properties. The path to your WordPad.exe file will be listed in the "Target:" box.
April 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Do you mean I drag the extracted file over top of the wordpad MFC file on my PC and is done?
April 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I tried to copy/paste from the unzipped folder to the wordpad accessories files,
but a wordpad open with all unreadable letters (I forgot the right name for those)
..now...when I open the new wordpad left on the desktop and look into it it says servicepack2
April 8th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Note: The complete path should look similar to this:
- Click Start,
- point to All Programs,
- select the Accessories folder,
- right click WordPad and select Properties,
- if not already selected, click the Shortcut tab,
- highlight the complete path in the "Target:" box,
- press [Ctrl]-[C] to copy it,
- start a reply here in this thread,
- click once in the message box,
- then press [Ctrl]-[V] to paste in what you copied above.
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe
Last edited by SpywareDr; April 8th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
April 9th, 2012, 09:14 AM
is that what you meant ?
I opened already the compressed wordpad file you linked yesterday and is the same as the one here.
April 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
OK..I repeated yesterday operation : unzip over the existing Wordpad file and this is the now file version 5.1.2600.6010
so now I have already updated wordpad?
April 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
..on a better look...like I said yesterday also todaywhen I copy Wordpad from unzipped Wordpad51folder and paste it to the accessories folder where the original Wordpad is, a wordpad textwindow open with unreadable characters.
I followed your instruction to the letter but I think noting happened
April 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
1) You got WordPad updated [congrats! ],
2) you are trying to open some type of file in WordPad that WordPad does not recognize. WordPad is a simple word processor for editing text-type files. Trying to open something like a .PDF, .JPG, .AVI, .ZIP, etc. in WordPad is useless. All you'll see is a slew of strange looking characters, (because WordPad wasn't designed to handle that type of file).
What type of file are you trying to open? What is the file extension?
April 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
are you sure was updated?...it still says SP2
April 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
To update your Windows XP from SP2 to SP3, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)