SP3, I must be getting old!

Thread: SP3, I must be getting old!

SP3, I must be getting old!

Hi there,

I must be getting old because I forget why I have not upgraded to SP3. Since I recently had to restore the OS from an image file, I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade to SP3.

It all appears to go well until the screen telling me that everything is fine and I need to reboot. the first thing I notice is that my normal 'Welcome' screen has gone and I have the MS Windows splash screen, with the message, 'Please Wait.' The HDD light is occasionally flashing, but 40 minutes later, I am still waiting!

Pushing the off button does nothing; Cnt/Alt/Del does nothing so have to resort to pulling the plug and restoring from my os image file, to go back to the nice, stable SP2.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Now that reaction to SP3 normally took place because of nasties. Virus or malware have know to cause that to happen.

You may be right, so I have scanned the restored image with AVG / SypBot / Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare. There were a couple of trojans and a few tracking cookies. All removed, drive cleaned and defragged and tried again.

Everything goes well until the reboot, when as before, it gets stuck on the Windows splash screen (not my Welcome screen) and the message, 'Please Wait.' 30 mins later, I'm still waiting! After 45 mins, the only way to turn the computer off is to pull the plug and restore from my Acronis image.

So two attempts at installing SP3; both failed and back with SP2, which works well.

Rex

To be honest with you, now is when I would take the time to do a clean install.

Download the SPs neede and burn to cd.

Install Xp
    SPs needed
    Missing mobo drivers , install now not earlier or you can run into major problems.

Antivirus

Now you are ready to get the 100 plus updates.

Before we moved house, and now I have other priorities, I was try to do a clean install. Still have the HDD but only got as far as discovering that with XP SP3, my MS Optical Trackball mouse would only operate as a mouse; the buttons did nothing. Downloaded the latest mouse driver and still zilch. So i kind of gave up as I now have higher priorities and SP2 is stable and working.

This issue only arose through asking about another issue that downloading Soluto would be useful.

Rex

You can slip stream SP3 onto a disk along with WinXP using this program: http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstre...3_cd_final.htm

Then when you do a clean install using this disk SP3 will automatically be installed. No need to have SP2 on disk. SP3 contains SP2.
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Thread Information