Program Location

Thread: Program Location

Program Location

Hi there,

I have a small freeware program (Desktop iCalender Lite) that sits on the desktop, starts up when I boot the computer and does what it says on the box. It's my 'diary.'

It is by default, installed in C:/ ProgamFiles. Recently, I had to restore the OS via an image file, and of course, I lost all the diary info the was previously stored.

My D: (MyDocs) also does what it says on the box, but backs-up automatically to an back-up partition. Is there any reason that I cannot install iCalender to D:/, have it run during booting and by default, all input entries (and the program itself) will be secure from an OS restore.

Thanks,

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    A lot of programs will allow you to install on another harddrive but if you have to restore from backup you may need to reinstall the program. Registry entries may no longer be there for the program to run after the restore.

Thanks, that is something I had not thought about and you are probably correct. The freeware program does not have an export option (i don't know if the purchased version does either.)

My 'one the fly' back-up program may be able to copy the dat file without copying the entire program.

Guess I will just have to play around.

Rex

A better idea might be to add the location for the data file(s) for the calendar to your automatic backup program. There might be other applications or files on the C: drive that should be backed up daily as well, depending on what else you are running.

Yes, been wondering about trying that. However, all I need to back-up is the file that holds my input information and whatever contains my settings.

Sounds simple enough. When I have looked in the program folder, there is the *.exe, a collection of *.dll and two uninstall reference files. Only the uninstall files have the most recent date, nothing else has todays date and time when I input a new diary entry. So don't know what to back-up.

Been to the reg, to see if there is any reference, but only the default install location and the uninstall file names.

Rex

The data files are probably somewhere in the Application Data folder for your user profile somewhere. Search the hard drive for folder names that contain all or part of the sane subfolder name that the program uses in Program Files to see what you find.

Good call. Have searched, browsed and opened every folder, but there does not appear to be anything that resembles the input information.

Even added some data to the calender, and then searched for files that have changed in the last two minutes, and zilch. something must be saved somewhere

On the company web site, unfortunately, there are no FAQ or forum.

Rex

Check the .ics files located at

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\desksware\DesktopiCalendarLite\CalendarData ( well its here under Windows 7, may be different depending on your OS )

Eg my calendar saves to the default local one and is called Local Default Calendar.ics

You can also right click on the desktop calendar - click manage calendars and then save a new copy of the calender file, the location is also shown at the bottom of the window.

Attachment 10465
    Last edited by General Winters; April 17th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

Remember that it may be in a Hidden or System subfolder as well.

General Winters,

Thanks, found it! Now that I can back it up, my program, just like the screen shot you sttached, does not appear to have an Import function. I guess it would be a copy and paste job if / when necessary.

Rex

Add new calendar - browse to back up of the ics file.

If setting up on new install you could also delete default ics file and copy old one in it's place with same name.

Yes, think that will be the way to go.

Thanks

Rex

Thread Information