Searching with Chrome

Thread: Searching with Chrome

Resolved Searching with Chrome

I've been using Chrome 18, latest version, with Windoes 7 Home Premium for a little while now. For searching I have been typing my search criteria into the url bar and it has been going to google and doing the search. No problem.

Now all of a sudden it is going to "https://www.google.com/blahblahblah" and is blocking me due to an invalid certificate, and is telling me that "You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain." I did not change any settings or anything, and it does this no matter what search term I use, or even if I just type "www.google.com" in the bar.

I even tried forcing a nonsecure site by entering "http://www.google.com" and it went to "https://www.google.com" and blocked me.

So, at the moment, using Chrome, I cannot do a search. Any help?

Update: Actually, I'm having this same issue at several sites. I'm getting it when trying to access a database server which I was able to access with no problems just an hour or so ago. I have no reason to believe there is a problem with their certificate, and I was receiving no notices before.

I'm also being blocked from my email server. I was getting a notice earlier, but was being allowed to proceed by clicking a button. There was a "proceed" button and a "return to safety" button, now there is only a "back" button.

It appears that at this point I am actually being blocked form any secure servers, period.

If google has any help for Chrome users, I have not been able to find it, so if you know of one maybe you can point me there.
    Last edited by Bill Heffner; April 6th, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: new information added

Okay, false alarm, it quit doing it. Again, I didn't do anything. Consider quite a lot of bad language to have been typed here.

Not resolved after all

No longer resolved: now it is doing again. Damn thing comes and goes. Sometimes I can access these sites, other times it blocks me with no recourse.

Is there any place that Chrome users can go for assistance? Something like the Firefox user's forum?

Is the same thing happening with a different browser?

No, I installed Firefox 11, and it is working fine. I'd still like to use Chrome, though, so...

I installed Chrome on my wife's computer, networked with mine to the Internet through the same router, and it is not happening on hers. Only on mine. I can't see any settings in "Under the hood" that could be doing it. And it's no longer intermittent. As soon as I hit any secure site it slams the door.

Well, light is appearing at the end of the tunnel, but it is beginning to look more and more like an oncoming train.

Turns out this is a very common problem for users of Windows 7 who upgraded to the latest version of Chrome (18.0.1025.151). There are Google people at this forum (Chrome Help), and they are asking for screen shots and such, so maybe they will get this dealt with, but there are a flood of angry massages in that thread and no few that were deleted as "abusive." Given some of the language that is allowed, I can only imagine what was said that needed to be deleted. Yikes, and I was in the Navy. People are not happy.

There is a work around (isn't there always?) which is to go to C:\Users\"User"\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and delete the file chrome_shutdown_ms.txt. That does solve the problem, but my guess is that at some point it is going to recreate itself. Whatever...

Try this. In Chrome,
    1. Click the Wrench icon at the right end of the address bar.

2. On the left, click Basics (if not already selected).

3. Down under "Other search engines" are three boxes. In the first one type in:
      MyGoogle
      In the second one type in:
      MyGoogle.com
      In the third one, type in:
      http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
      and press [Tab].

4. Point to your new "MyGoogle" line and then click the blue "Make Default" box that appears at the right end of that line.

5. Now up in the address bar, type in something like:
      virtualdr
      and you should be on Google's search page with "virtualdr" filled in in Google's search box.

That seemed to clean up the search a little bit. The default search was Google, but the search string was dirtied up a bit. The search engine definition seems to have changed a little, because I had to click on a "Manage search engines" button" and the "make default" button doesn't appear until you hover over the selection. Why do they make things complex? Just for the sake of showing how clever their programmers are?

Anyway, the chrome_shutdown_ms.txt file created itself again, and deleting it restored my ability to view sites witl SSL's. That issue does render Chrome a somewhat less than ideal browser.

Yep, seems to be some kind of new programming fad. They've also hidden several standard buttons in Windows 8 ... including the Start button.

Anyway, good to hear the problem's been solved. Thanks for posting back.

Well, not solved... Having to go deep into the file system to delete the file is annoying, and at the moment it is slamming the door on SSL sites and that file does not seems to be present. I think Google has a problem. Or Microsoft does with Windows 7, or maybe the two of them are just fighting with each other.

Edit: yep, the file is present. Delete it and Chrome is restored to functionality, but you can't do it with Chrome running, because it gets created when you shut Chrome down
    Last edited by Bill Heffner; April 7th, 2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more information accumulated

Use:
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=%s
    instead of:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
    ?

I'm puzzled. Chrome's standard 'ol Google search is working fine here ... as well as all the other search options.

(Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit [with all updates], Google Chrome 18.0.1025.151 m).

Thread Information