Microsoft Publisher keeps shutting down!

Thread: Microsoft Publisher keeps shutting down!

Microsoft Publisher keeps shutting down!

Hello!
    Lately I've been having a problem using Microsoft Publisher 2007 (12.0.6652). I use this program to design posters, brochures and mailers. I have to insert images from other files on my computer, and when I try to do this, Publisher shuts down. The way around this has been to copy the file and then paste into the document, but it takes more time. I have no problem inserting clip art, just files on my computer. Also, sometimes when I want to save something it shuts down. This happens with or without other programs running. I ran a diagnostic, and the results were that nothing is wrong. I checked for updates and I have the most recent. I cannot uninstall/reinstall as the software came with the computer and I don't have a disc. So I turn to you....
    Thank you!

Lenovo ThinkPad R61
    4.00 GB 32-Bit Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium

Is it always the same file type?

What size files are causing the issue?

How much RAM memory does the computer have?

How much free hard drive space is available?

Go to Control Panel>Programs and features, select Publisher (or the entire Office Suite if it is not listed separately), then click "Repair", and see if that helps.
    Nick.

jdc2000 -
    I just now tried to insert an image file into a Publisher document and the program shut down before I could click on the file in the window. Prior to this the file sizes I was trying to insert averaged between 500KB to 2.5MB.
    The PC has 4.00GB RAM. Free hard drive space available is 106GB.

SuperSparks -
    I tried "repair" on the following programs listed;
    -Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
    -Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies
    -Microsoft Office Small Business Connectivity Components
    -Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in

The result was a window popped up and said, "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."
    If that means do I have the installation disks, I do not. When I bought the PC from IBM I ordered Publisher to be installed.

Did IBM send you restore CDs, or give you the option of creating them from files on the hard drive, and, if so, do you still have them? If yes, then you could back up your data, restore to factory condition, and then restore your data and reinstall any newer software. Or, you could pay some $$$ for a retail copy of Publisher with the installation media. Or, you could leave things as they are right now. There aren't any other options that I can see at present, since you are not getting any error messages that are useful.

Found 'em! Searched high and low for all the stuff that originally came with the laptop, and found the Discs. I'm a little hesitant to uninstall / reinstall the program. I just hope it works. I'll be trying it in the next few days. If I have any problems you will hear from me....wish me luck!

Good luck. You really don't have much to lose at present, at least with the Publisher situation. You can't do much with Publisher in its present state. You could always create a backup image of the entire drive first if you wanted to, if you have another drive with enough free space.

FWIW, I've uninstalled various Office programs many times over the years, and it has never once caused any headaches. I wish all other programs were as well behaved. You should keep any of your settings, so there is little to be concerned about
    Nick.

Okay, that makes me feel better. I'll try to do this over the weekend. I have Seagate Replica backup and plan on moving all important stuff to discs, so everything will be backed up. Hopefully this will be the solution...thanks for your help!

I Tried to reinstall Microsoft Office/Publisher today. This message came up:

Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value to the registry key / HWXInk.E-Ink. Verify you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, see C:\Users\Janette\AppData\Local\temp\setup00001f60\PSS10R.CHM.

So that is as far as I got.

How to take ownership of a registry key:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Try disabling your AntiVirus and give it another go.
    Nick.

Thread Information