If you had to choose the best and fastest?

Thread: If you had to choose the best and fastest?

Angry If you had to choose the best and fastest?

Our apartment complex is going to undergo an extensive make over and we may have to be moved elsewhere for about a year. I don't want to have to pay for hooking up my DSL at the new place and then hook it up again when we get back here.

If you had to choose the most efficient, best, fastest dial-up which one would you choose??

This will save me about $200. for not having to do the DSL hook up until our apartments here are done.

A more important question-> which companies provide dial up in your area

If you use your pc more then 10 minutes a day - you'll hate yourself for not spending the extra money
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

mostly any

people pc
    earthlink
    aol (NOT)
    almost any of the dial ups you can get online

Odds are you won't find much difference between one company and the next. I'd go with a name brand company.

It's been ten years so since i've use a 56k modem... Does you pc have one?

I'd look for a month to month plan in case you realize that waiting more then a minute for a web page to load Every Time you click on a link is too much to bear.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

When I used to do a lot of traveling in the US and Canada I always used Earthlink for roaming dialup access. They seemed to have the most available numbers in the most places. But I don't really think they were any faster than other large providers.. just more widespread and available. These days I'd find it less necessary since there's so much available free hispeed access at hotels, airports, coffeeshops etc but at 10 dollars/month I'd still get a temp Earthlink acc't anyway just for backup.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Can your cellphone or tablet act as a hotspot?

How about a mobile broadband dongle? I don't know how many providers there are in the US, but here's one:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/
    Nick.

Wikipedia: Mobile Broadband
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband

You want "4G" ... and probably some kind of "pay-as-you-go" plan.

I found that

As much time as I spend online my cell or mobile is WAY more expensive.

I am a retired senior on limited ncomeand just feel I cannot afford to move it out and then back again.

That is why I am looking for an 8-12 month temp fix.

I realize it will be much slower and I won't be able to play some of my games but this entire move has been an upset to our entire complex.

I am thinking earth link for now.

I am on ATT DSL highest speed but they want a fortune to unhook me here rehook me there and do the same all over again when I come back here.

Thank you. I don't know a lot about broad band.

Earthlink 56Kbps Dial-up is as low as $12.50 per month if you pay $150.00 at time of sign up for an entire year of service.

If you don't want to pay for the year in advance, it will be $14.95 per month for a total of $179.40.

If you don't want but 8 months of service, the total would be $139.60. That's $9.95 per month for the first three months, then $21.95 per month thereafter. You could then continue on with this no-contract, month-to-month plan for the same $21.95 per month. But, if you ended up keeping it for the full 12 months the total would be $227.40, which is $77.40 more than the $150.00 plan.

Clear might be a good alternative for you if it is available in your area. Everything is wireless so there is no hookup. Their prices are very competitive. All you need is the receiver/modem from them and away you go. They have some remote access features that may work for you as well. They have to have a transmitter/receiving station in your area. VOIP phone service is available with certain packages so you have essentially land line phone service without the line.
    http://internet.clear.com/?gclid=CNq...FYXNKgodghUPXA
    Also, an acquaintance lived in Milwaukee during a summer internship. Time Warner, the cable company in that area, offered a month to month deal that was very reasonable without having to get TV with it. You might check the cable company for your area for something like this. In many cases, they rent you the modem anyway and the hookup is already there from a previous tenant, all they have to do is turn it back on.
    J.
    Last edited by jseidel; April 8th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thread Information