[RESOLVED] "Open With" List missing Adobe Reader.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] "Open With" List missing Adobe Reader.

Resolved [RESOLVED] "Open With" List missing Adobe Reader.

I just built a new computer and have Windows 7, and Office 2007 installed. I'm trying to find options readily available in my old XP format, such as pinning the "run" command to the start-up menu, etc... But my current problem is that I have a scanned document which is a .pdf file. I'll click to open it from explorer and Windows 7 tries to open it with Media Player. When I click "open with" there are other media programs listed but Adobe Reader 9.0 isn't listed. I browse to it and double click it but it won't open it nor stay in my "open with" list. I have two hard drives. The first is 640 GB western digital for programs, and the second is 1 TB western digital for storage. Adobe is on my storage disk and even though I browse to it, Windows 7 refuses to add it to the "open with list".

When I open Word at work, I can click on options> file locations> and then browse to my storage location but that is in XP. Anyway to direct Word to open my documents from the storage hard drive, and to default save them there????

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cowboy622
    ASUS Rampage III Formula Rev 1.xx Motherboard; 3.07 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950 CPU; 12.0 GB Ram; Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600); NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 [Display adapter]

You miss 100% of the shots you never take !

Cowboy622--There are more than one program that can open .pdf files. You have chosen Adobe Reader. Are you sure it is installed? Do you find it in your Start Menu (Start button|All Programs? If not found, install it.
    If installed, look into Control Panel|Default Programs and see what the associated program for .pdf is. Click on the "Associate File Type or Protocol with a program" option.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks Jim,

It has been installed and I tried to follow your instructions, but it wasn't taking. I have a shortcut on the desktop and right clicked on it> properties and I think I found the problem, (although I don't understand it). It appears Adobe Reader was listed under "program files" but it was not under "program Files (86)" . I copied it to that directory and viola, now it is a choice for file associations. I'm not sure what I did but it worked so thank you very much.
    Cowboy622
    ASUS Rampage III Formula Rev 1.xx Motherboard; 3.07 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950 CPU; 12.0 GB Ram; Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600); NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 [Display adapter]

You miss 100% of the shots you never take !

"Program Files (x86)" is only found in 64-bit Windows, and is for 32-bit apps to live in. The "Program Files" folder is where 64-bit apps are supposed to live. Adobe Reader is a 32-bit app, and so should be in the (x86) folder. I don't know how it could have got in the wrong one though
    Nick.

Oh thanks SuperSparks I was wondering why there were 2 Program Files folders

Please could someone help me? Having the same problem and wondering if the same solution would help me too. I'm not sure how to copy to Program Files (x86). I'm using Windows Vista.

This also works the same way in later versions of Windows:
    How to Drag and Drop (Beginner Tutorial, Windows XP)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKpNk3uHos
    Last edited by SpywareDr; January 18th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks for that Spyware Dr. Sorry, think I wasn't too clear. I know how to drag and drop... just not where I'd find the program file x86 folder!! Can only see one folder for program files which is the one that Adobe is in.

Sounds like you may be running a 32-bit version of Windows then. (In which case you wouldn't need two separate program folders, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit).

Ah so I need another solution to the Adobe problem then! Any ideas? Very annoying as means I have to open Adobe Reader and then the pdf I want to read. On the internet, sometimes the pdfs work automatically, but at other times they'll ask me to choose a program and I'll have to go into the Adobe Program Files (but it won't let me set this option for the future). Have had the problem for both Adobe 9.4 and Adobe X and have uninstalled and reinstalled many times now. Seem to be quite a few people experiencing the problem but so far I haven't found out how to fix it.

I suppose you've already done the normal:
    Right-click a .pdf file
    Select Open with...
    Drill down in Program Files\Adobe (or wherever) and select AcroRd32.exe
    Check the box next to "always use this program..."
    ?

yes but the program does not show up in the list - just like the user above.

Doesn't matter ... click the "Browse" button, drill down to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" (or wherever) and select the "AcroRd32.exe" program file.

I can do that but shouldn't it allow me to select an option where I can set windows to do this automatically - quite annoying to have to browse through folders all the time.... and if I'm opening something saved on my PC, I have to do it through Adobe Reader because it won't allow me to set Adobe as the automatic program (does not even show on list)

Thanks for trying to help ... it's a real puzzle to me!

After selecting AcroRd32.exe, you have to check the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", before clicking OK.

Thread Information