[RESOLVED] JS/Iframe Trojan removal - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RESOLVED] JS/Iframe Trojan removal

there's a black screen that shows for a second or so with several selections such as Windows XP Home, Professional etc that I never saw before doing these operations
    That's normal.
    Combofix installed Recovery Console, important troubleshooting tool, which should be present on every XP computer.

Re-run OTL fix from safe mode.

Broni..This latest run fix process has created a problem. I have some Word docs on my desktop and now every time I open one, another copy of it appears on the desktop and when I try to delete it an error message comes up. I never had this problem before. Please advise.

Also, I just tried to start the machine in Safe mode and when I select from the options which level of safe mode (Safe mode, Safe mode with Networking, etc.), I select Safe mode and then a black screen filled with entries appears then boots to the next screen which has a window stating something about being in safe mode for diagnostics and if I want to continue to press "Yes". The problem is that the cursor does not respond and hitting "Enter" does not do anything either. I think the fix you provided has created some problems. Sorry, but the only thing I can think of now is to restore the machine to a previous date so that it functions properly. This problem with the Word doc is very strange and as I said, was never there before running the fix you provided.

Do not use system restore as it'll bring the infection back.

There is nothing in OTL fix even remotely connected to Word.
    The fix removed some orphaned entries and cleaned temporary files.

Regarding safe mode....do you use USB keyboard/mouse?

OK thanks.

And yes, all I have is a wireless USB keyboard and mouse, so I guess I can't start in Safe mode without a wired keyboard.

Do you have these on the back of the computer?

If yes, then you need to use them. Or go into the Bios and enable legacy usb or maybe 2 other USB settings so your wireless will work. Hit one BIOS where I had to enable all 3.

Broni..

Have done the other operations except for the ESET scanning which I will do later. Here's the logs you requested:

Checkup.txt:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.24
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
    Internet Explorer 8
    ``````````````````````````````
    Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
    avast! Free Antivirus
    Antivirus up to date!
    ```````````````````````````````
    Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

SUPERAntiSpyware
    CCleaner
    Java(TM) 6 Update 31
    Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55
    Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-US..)
    ````````````````````````````````
    Process Check:
    objlist.exe by Laurent

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
    AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
    AVAST Software Avast avastUI.exe
    ``````````End of Log````````````

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    FSS.txt:

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 01-03-2012
    Ran by Administrator (administrator) on 04-04-2012 at 16:31:28
    Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads"
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
    Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
    ============

Connection Status:
    ==============
    Localhost is accessible.
    LAN connected.
    Google IP is accessible.
    Yahoo IP is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
    =============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
    ==================

System Restore:
    ============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
    ========================

Security Center:
    ============

Windows Update:
    ============

File Check:
    ========
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ipsec.sys => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\srsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\sr.sys => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauserv.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe => MD5 is legit

Extra List:
    =======
    aswTdi(8) Gpc(6) IPSec(4) NetBT(5) PSched(7) Tcpip(3)
    0x080000000400000001000000020000000300000008000000050000000600000007000000
    IpSec Tag value is correct.

**** End of log ****

Those three entries listed in OTL fix are not crucial so it really doesn't matter if they were removed or not.

I'll wait for your Eset report.

Train.. yes I have the connections you show in the photo, but not sure how to change BIOS settings

Also, how long should a machine with the number of programs mine has take to shut down? Mine now seems to take about 20-25 seconds while my laptop, which has fewer programs shuts down in about 15 or less.

Broni.. Below is the log from the ESET scan as requested:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\asc-setup (1).exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\asc-setup (2).exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\asc-setup (3).exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\asc-setup.exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\cnet_DiagramDesignerSetup_exe.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.D application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\defragsetup (2).exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\imf-setup.exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\jZipV1c.exe multiple threats deleted - quarantined
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\Setup.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.K application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Train.. yes I have the connections you show in the photo, but not sure how to change BIOS settings

Also, how long should a machine with the number of programs mine has take to shut down? Mine now seems to take about 20-25 seconds while my laptop, which has fewer programs shuts down in about 15 or less.

Each rig will take different amounts of time to shut down. My laptop takes about 2 minutes and this tesktop about a minute. Really depends on what all you have installed.
    A netbook today needed over 2 minutes to shutdown and that was after a cleaqn install.

Your computer is clean

1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point, using following OTL script:

Run OTL

• Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

Code:
    :OTL
    :Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [emptyjava]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]
    • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
    • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
    • Post resulting log.

2. Now, we'll remove all tools, we used during our cleaning process

Clean up with OTL:

• Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
    • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
    • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
    • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.

3. Make sure, Windows Updates are current.

4. If any Trojan was listed among your infection(s), make sure, you change all of your on-line important passwords (bank account(s), secured web sites, etc.) immediately!

5. Download, and install WOT (Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.

6. Run Malwarebytes "Quick scan" once in a while to assure safety of your computer.

7. Run Temporary File Cleaner (TFC) weekly.

8. Download and install Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI): http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/. The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Run it weekly.

9. (optional) If you want to keep all your programs up to date, download and install FileHippo Update Checker.
    The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases.

10. (Windows XP only) Run defrag at your convenience.

11. When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select "Custom " installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

12. Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

13. Please, let me know, how your computer is doing.

The issue seems to be resolved.

Thread Information