Cat vaccinations...

Thread: Cat vaccinations...

Cat vaccinations...

How many cat owners here have had one of them have a bad reaction to a vaccination?

She's fine now but my cat, Maggie, had her distemper vac two weeks ago. Initially all was ok but 3 days later she stopped eating and became very lethargic. Through an overly long and expensive series of consultations we finally came to the conclusion, one that my vet was initially reluctant to agree with, that is was a delayed reaction to the jab. A stimulant to trigger her appetite worked wonders and she recovered very quickly.

My research and correspondence with another vet online suggests that it's more common than many vets would admit to.

I'm just trying to determine how common it really by asking as many cat owners as I can to come up with some sort of number... even though the
    results will be non-scientific even anecdotal evidence will be helpful.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've had cats most of my life and have never had that type of problem...

Well, almost never. Had a kitty that never groomed and had to get a $100.00 hair cut every year. The hard part was the anesthesia.... After her last hair cut she was never the same but lived another year and a half. (total of 12 years)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

We've never had the problem with any of ours either, though a vet did once say to keep a close eye on the cat after a jab, because some of them do become lethargic. So clearly that vet knew about it.
    Nick.

We had a cat once that did not like having shots, fought like an SOB every time. When it came time for the distemper shot it was business as usual. I was holding the cat on the table in a death grip, cat was still moving quite a bit, struggling, as a cat will. I was trying not to lose too much blood. The vet finally took a jab at the cat, and gave ME a distemper shot.

My wife claims it didn't help my attitude even a little bit.

LOL, did you have any urge to chase bugs around the house afterwards? Or suddenly crave canned sardines?

Our vet insists that such reactions are not at all rare; nor are inflammations and development of tumors at the injection site. She doesn't routinely vaccinate our kitty, but does a blood draw every other year and does a "titre" to check for antibody levels to see if vaccinations need to be renewed. They usually don't. She believes that animals tend to be severly over-vaccinated.

Yes, from my research I've found more and more vets who feel that way. I will no longer be giving my cat, who is strictly indoor only, any more vaccinations.

When I suggested that to my vet he asked "What if a bat flies into your home?" I replied that unless it's a bat that can open double glazed windows and has wirecutters to get through the screen I'm not too concerned.

It's a billion dollar industry and veterinarian practices make a lot of money from it.

Indeed they do!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Yes, from my research I've found more and more vets who feel that way. I will no longer be giving my cat, who is strictly indoor only, any more vaccinations.
    I stopped getting vaccinations many years ago for my indoor apartment cats, although it's technically illegal here because of rabies.Two lived to 18, one to 17, one to 16. None were ever ill till their last illness.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information