[RESOLVED] External HDD crashing explorer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] External HDD crashing explorer

Resolved [RESOLVED] External HDD crashing explorer

I have a Western Digital 320GB HDD model number 3200JB running on Win 7 Home Premium. The problem I'm having is when trying to access files sometimes on this, it will crash Windows Explorer and the only way to stop it is to unplug the HDD from the USB slot.

This drive does have its own power supply so it's not a power issue. Would backing up the stuff I need and re-formatting help? Or doing a scandisk check on it? It's about 6 years old now so it's probably on its way out.

Any help much appreciated.

Run the hard drive maker's diagnostic utility on that hard drive. Download this and burn it to CD, it has all the hard drive diagnostic utilities plus many more besides. You don't need to boot into Windows to run them, just boot up with the CD in the drive, select the utility that you want and it will run:

Ultimate Boot CD
    Nick.

Thanks will have a look into that.

I had also read that it's not good to shut down or boot up PC with an external HDD connected. Apparently it can cause damage to the drive, am I correct?

No, that is rubbish, it is perfectly OK to leave an external drive connected. The only slight issue would be if you regularly forget to turn the external drive off, where leaving it running all the time would slightly increase wear on the drive motor and bearings.
    Nick.

It's always been connected to the PC and is only ever switched off when the PC is. It is set to power down when not in use because I don't need it all the time.

Just that it's got all my music and photos on it and don't want to lose them! Will back them up to my internal HDD just in case.

If it is a dodgy drive I will probably end up buying a new one, it's nearly full now and they're that cheap nowadays.

True enough. I use a couple of external drives for backups, plus I always install a drive caddy or two when I build a computer. Into the caddy I slot a 2TB bare drive that I keep for extra backup/archive purposes, and so is only ever used for an hour or two each month. That way, if an external drive fails, I still have on other external plus a fallback drive. It's a system that has worked well for me over the years
    Nick.

Ok I've run the diagnostic tool off the Western Digital site and trying to come up with a quick scan I get this error...

Quick test on drive 4 did not complete!
    Status code 04=(unknown failed test element), Failure checkpoint =
    64 (SMART attribute test)
    SMART self test did not complete on drive 4

I would now advise doing a full test in that case.
    Nick.

Think I will do that. Problem I'm having now is when trying to transfer everything over to my internal HDD. It will work for a while and then crash Windows explorer and the only way to get it to come back is to unplug the external drive.

Looks like it's on it's last legs.

Of course it could just be the enclosure. You may have better luck by taking the hard drive out and connecting it up to the PC directly.
    Nick.

There could be a problem with that, it's an Acer shop bought PC plus I don't have any cables to connect it to the motherboard.

Running an extended test on the diagnostic tool now.

There was a DOS version on their website but it didn't say if it was compatible with Windows 7, only went up to vista.

Will see what this says, takes about 3 hours according to the tool.

Oh well that lasted long. Extended test got to about 70% then stopped, windows explorer crashed and the only way to get it back was to unplug the drive from the USB.

Did that, restarted pc, but it wouldn't pick up the drive at all. Pressed the on/off button on the front of the drive and it asks to reformat it. Click on "ok" but it tells me to connect the drive! I can't see it under "my computer" but it's showing up in device manager.

Been messing about with it all night now trying various things but nothing. Luckily I was able to copy over my photos to the internal drive, so I've saved them but lost all my music, which is going to take a while to put back on.

I've ordered a new one now. This new one says that it is USB 3.0 ready, does Win 7 use USB 3.0? Didn't even know about it until tonight.

does Win 7 use USB 3.0? Didn't even know about it until tonight.
    Yes but your motherboard would need to have USB 3.0 ports. Otherwise, they will run at USB2.0 speeds.

Thread Information