Thread: [RESOLVED] Something Knocks Off The Internet

Resolved [RESOLVED] Something Knocks Off The Internet

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Pentium 4 3.4 GHz
    3 GB memory
    Netgear 300n router
    Comcast modem
    Magicjack Plus

I got Magicjack Plus because I didn't want the computer running all the time. What happens is that when the computer is off and when I turn it back on there is no internet connection. If I reset the modem everything is fine until I turn the computer off and then the phone still works for a time. Maybe one to six hours, I'm not sure. Then the internet connection is off line. I reset the modem and everything works and the same thing occurs. I contacted Magicjack and they say it cannot be the device because it is a USB device. I contacted Comcast and they say my modem and connection are fine and it isn't their problem. There suggestion is to try it on a newer computer. (I suppose I am just to go out and buy a new computer to see if that fixes the problem.) I contacted Netgear and they say the problem isn't theirs. The router is working fine. So I am at a loss. I don't know if you deal with this but if you do and need more info, let me know.

Thanks

From what I can see, the MagicJack is just a plain VOIP adapter with a silly name. It is highly likely that is the cause of the problem. However, it is all a process of elimination with networking issues like this, so unplug it from the router tonight, and then see if you are disconnected again tomorrow. Post back with the results of that experiment, please.
    Nick.

Not much, but. . .
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/24914...r_a_price.html

I'd plug it into the pc and leave it.

I unplugged it overnight and the internet was still connected. so I "chatted" with Magicjack again and after a couple of hours finally got someone who apparently knows something. So I will see if that works. Thanks again for the advice and I will keep my fingers crossed that it works.

pipercub--If the advice from that "chat" is the fix, please let us know it. Thanks.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

The advice from the "chat" did not fix the problem. It got worse! If I remember right, they had me go into my firewall settings and change the ports to include three downloads from Magicjack. I left for awhile and when I got back my son said he had trouble staying connected to the internet. Sure enough, when I turned the computer on in the lower right hand corner of the screen there was a red x for about 1 second. It went away and the yellow symbol that shows you are not connected appeared. After about 5 minutes it said I was connected and then after a period of time the yellow symbol appeared again and I was disconnected. I called Comcast after I disconnected my router so I was just connected to the modem and they are saying my modem might be bad as it is from 2007. So they told me to get a new one. In the mean time I am connected to the internet directly with the modem and no router and the Magicjack device for the phone is connected to a USB port on the computer so the phone works. I haven't been disconnected from the internet for at least 30 minutes. So I don't know if it is the modem, the router or the magicjack device. So Monday I will get a new router and keep you posted. If you have any ideas, let me know. It seems I never get a problem with less than 20 posts!

I'll remove the "Resolved" tag then

You need to be very systematic, or you will never get anywhere in identifying the cause. Networking issues like this are always a long drawn out process, so you really will need some patience.

Is it possible to plug the MagicJack in via USB, and replace the router? In other words, to leave things set up so that the MagicJack is not connected directly to the router. I think I may just possibly have an idea what could be going on here.
    Nick.

Comcast gave me a new modem. I got the modem working, the router working and the Magicjack device working. So far everything is working fine. The computer has been on and off at various times and the phone still works. Also my sons laptop was able to connect with the computer off. I will see what happens when I turn the computer off overnight and see if the phone is still connected and let you know if the Comcast modem was the fix. It seems strange that the problem occured just when I installed the Magicjack device. Coincidence?

I'd say it is probably coincidence. It is known that some VOIP adapters don't play nicely with some routers, but I'd be surprised if it affected a modem. You can never say never when it comes to computers in general, and networking gear in particular though

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it really is fixed
    Nick.

I turned off the computer last night, woke up this morning and checked the phone. It was working! I tried the laptop and was able to connect to the internet! So it must have been Comcast's modem. It was from 2003. What do you know. Only ten posts! Thanks for all the help!

You're very welcome
    Nick.

Thread Information