BT Router hub Broadband light out

Thread: BT Router hub Broadband light out

BT Router hub Broadband light out

Hi I have had a good search on the subject but need to put my mind at ease.
    My BT router as 3 blue lights the broadband light is not on it went out after 20 minutes Hence no internet.
    Now if I diconnect from the pc I have the power light and the wireless light still on and still no broadband.
    I do have a dial tone.This is a a new set up just out the box and is in a 100 year old building with old lines.
    I did have broadband long enough to intstall the software and make an email address then the blue light went off and that was the end of my online experiance .
    is the fault on the line to the exchange and is there any way of finding out my self.
    I have done all the usal checks and have removed the cover and pluged direct.thank you very much regards xs11

If you have a dial tone, and you have plugged the router directly into the test socket, that is about as far as you can go with regard to tests. You can also try the quiet line test for completeness, but a very noisy line would cause dropouts and reconnects rather than a complete lack of connection. Plug an analogue phone into the test socket, and try the quiet line test on 17070.

BT Quiet Line Test

Go into the router configuration and double check all the settings in there. Misconfiguration is as likely to cause the problem as a line issue, if not more so.
    Nick.

Thanks for that, What I do not understand is that it was working fine for 20 minutes I did nothing other than follow the promps on the cd and create the email address it ran a few updates and died shortly after that strange.
    But I will look in to you reply Thank you.ps my friend as the same set up and all 3 lights are all the time even if its not connected to the pc hence I thought it may be a line fault?

The lights should be on all the time that the router is on, regardless of whether the PC is on. But there can be many causes for the DSL light going out, of which line faults are only one.

It is possible that BT are one of those ISPs that silently download updates onto the router. Which might account for it working for a few minutes and then disconnecting, if an update misconfigured the router.
    Nick.

Thanks for that,any Ideas where I should start?

Start with what I said above, do the quiet line test, then check the configuration. You should be able to access a Home Hub using your browser on http://192.168.1.1

Post a screenshot if you aren't sure, and we'll see if it is set up OK.

Screenshot guide
    Nick.

Thank you I have a look and let you know how I get on regards XS

Thread Information