[RESOLVED] in control Panel
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] in control Panel

Resolved [RESOLVED] in control Panel

I went looking for the version of internet explorer I had, and looking at the list of Programs, could not not find Windows program listed; or IE listed. Where would those programs be listed in Control Panel/

You should find IE through the Start menu \ Programs, if it's not present out on the Start menu itself, on the Taskbar or as a desktop icon.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Not clear

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    You should find IE through the Start menu \ Programs, if it's not present out on the Start menu itself, on the Taskbar or as a desktop icon.
    I didn't make myself clear. I have IE, I want to know what VERSION IE I HAVE. I found it in Help> about. I have IE 7. I want to upgrade to 8 or 9.

My browsers are still very slow, so I'm thinking it's because of Vista O/S, and trying to decide if I should upgrade to Windows 7 Home starter.

Why isn't IE listed in Control panel?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I don't think starter version of windows 7 will help with your slow internet connections.

Btw, haven't you asked this before, about your slow internet?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    I don't think starter version of windows 7 will help with your slow internet connections.

Btw, haven't you asked this before, about your slow internet?
    yes I have many times. It's driving me nuts. Regardless of the browser (at least they don't crash the way they do), the speed is horrendous. It's either the O/S or it's the internet just being clogged with a lot of downloads.

I can't believe I'm the only one having these slow speeds. I've got to believe it's the O/S or the internet just having a lot of traffic. I usually go to the same sites over and over, and it is horrid the speeds I get. I've complained to the wireless company, Clear, but I don't think there's anything they can do. At least Clear is "reliable" compared to the past service.

In an Internet Explorer window, click Help, About Internet Explorer. That should give you the version (7, 8, or 9). If all browsers are slow, upgrading the OS is not going to fix anything. Wireless will nearly always be slower than a wired connection.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Well, you are not the only one. My sister, almost 80 now, had a Dell Pentium 4 and her speeds were really bad on cable, I tried to tell her that even though DSL was faster, her cable connection was partly due to the age of her computer. I built her a new dual core a month ago and she's never complained about her internet being slow since then. What kind of system do you have?

IE and dailup speeds, yes have been working on that setup again, just do not get it anymore because of the ad servers. FF10 with ad block plus and it moves fairly well for 28 K dialup. Yes there are still lots of this country where that is the only option available.

Sal_gal--Maybe this has been done already.
    You can run IE9 on Vista. You download it here. Actually I am surprised it is not offered in Windows Update.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...wide-languages
    This may also be of interest
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...net-Explorer-9

Concerning where IE7 is in Vista's Control Panel, it seems to be in Control Panel|Networking and Internet. I do not use Vista, so cannot verify.
    See http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...etwork_ie7.htm

Cocerning your slow PC, did I already inflict the following ancient document on you?
    It was written some time ago.

I offer several other suggestions since they often can contribute to a slow PC.
    1) Have you scanned the PC for viruses, spyware, etc.? (Be sure to use programs with updated reference definition files.) Delete whatever these programs recommend. And if you did find such malware, you should also probably install and run MalwareBytes. It may find bits and pieces which were left behind
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    2) Disk Cleanup. There are several ways to reach it. One is Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|DiskCleanUp. That will start a scan of the PC to tell you what files might be deleted or compressed. (The scan takes a while.) I would certainly delete Temporary Internet Files, Temp files, Downloaded Program Files. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312 for details.
    3) Then I would run ErrorChecking. (left click on MyComputer||right click on C:\ drive icon (assuming that is your hard drive)|Tools|Error Checking. Check the box "Automatically fix file system errors". Click Start (within the error checking window). You will be told to reboot. Do so. Error checking will then run as part of the reboot. It can take a while.
    4) Start|Run|type MSCONFIG|OK|Startup tab. Windows actually needs very few thirdparty programs (the ones you see in msconfig) to run at start. Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware, programs associated with wireless connections such as mouse, network, etc. would be among the few. Uncheck the box to the left of any program you feel you do not need at startup. Click Apply. This site will help you make decisions what you do and do not need http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    5) Run Disk Defragmenter. ((left click on MyComputer||right click on C:\ drive icon (again assuming that is your hard drive)|Tools|Disk Defragmenter|Defrag Now click Analyze) Unless the analysis shows defragmentation is not needed, proceed to run Defragment. That also takes a while.
    Last edited by Welshjim; February 13th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Jim

I offer several other suggestions since they often can contribute to a slow PC.
    1) Have you scanned the PC for viruses, spyware, etc.? (Be sure to use programs with updated reference definition files.) Delete whatever these programs recommend. And if you did find such malware, you should also probably install and run MalwareBytes. It may find bits and pieces which were left behind
    Jim -- I have every spyware, malware scan, anti-virus scan, clean scan on this computer and they run regularly.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    2) Disk Cleanup. There are several ways to reach it. One is Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|DiskCleanUp. That will start a scan of the PC to tell you what files might be deleted or compressed. (The scan takes a while.) I would certainly delete Temporary Internet Files, Temp files, Downloaded Program Files. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312 for details.
    have it got it use it.

3) Then I would run ErrorChecking. (left click on MyComputer||right click on C:\ drive icon (assuming that is your hard drive)|Tools|Error Checking. Check the box "Automatically fix file system errors". Click Start (within the error checking window). You will be told to reboot. Do so. Error checking will then run as part of the reboot. It can take a while.
    Will try this.
    4) Start|Run|type MSCONFIG|OK|Startup tab. Windows actually needs very few thirdparty programs (the ones you see in msconfig) to run at start. Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware, programs associated with wireless connections such as mouse, network, etc. would be among the few. Uncheck the box to the left of any program you feel you do not need at startup. Click Apply. This site will help you make decisions what you do and do not need http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Did the startup thingy.

5) Run Disk Defragmenter. ((left click on MyComputer||right click on C:\ drive icon (again assuming that is your hard drive)|Tools|Disk Defragmenter|Defrag Now click Analyze) Unless the analysis shows defragmentation is not needed, proceed to run Defragment. That also takes a while.
    have it use it all the time.__________________

Did you ever give us your speed test results?

www.speedtest.net
    Nick.

Sal_gal-
    Jim -- I have every spyware, malware scan, anti-virus scan, clean scan on this computer and they run regularly
    Outside chance, but this could be part of the problem You should have only one active (running all the time) antivirus program running at one time. And do you run manually started scans with these programs? You should.

have it got it use it
    . I do not understand that.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I've tried everything. I went to uninstall IE7, and the Help info calls it "IE8" but I don't have IE8.
    Uninstall Internet Explorer 8

This information applies to Windows Internet Explorer 8.

If you're having problems viewing webpages correctly using Internet Explorer 8, try Compatibility View. For more information, see Why don't some websites display correctly in Internet Explorer 8?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8
    Click to open Programs and Features.

In the left pane, click View installed updates.

Select Internet Explorer 8, and then click Uninstall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Follow the instructions on the screen to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

When you're done, restart Windows.

Note
    If you uninstalled because you had an older version, or Internet Explorer 8 wasn't working correctly, you can reinstall after step 5.

If you don't reinstall Internet Explorer 8, your computer will revert to Internet Explorer 7 and the Internet Explorer 7 cumulative updates that were on your computer before installing Internet Explorer 8. Run Windows Update to be sure your computer isn't missing the latest Internet Explorer 7 updates.

I can't find IE7!

Try looking for an entry beginning with the words "Windows Internet Explorer", (instead of "Internet Explorer" or "Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer").

The Browser

Maybe slowness is a universal problem?

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102...e/?tag=nl.e497

Thread Information