Port Blocking - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Port Blocking

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If you haven't already done so, it might be time to try a new NIC. You can get decent ones for $15 plus shipping.
    I agree!

I'm beginning to agree. Everything else seems to be working well enough, so it might be the NIC itself. This is supposed to be a good card, but even good cards go bad, I guess.

Found this at Newegg. A possibility. I don't want to spent too much. Paid property taxes yesterday, and will feel the pain for a while.

Startech NIC

I'm not familiar with Startech, so will rely somewhat on opinion here.

Okay. I just ordered a new NIC card, a Rosewill 404. It sounded a bit better than my original choice.

They claim it will be here in 4-7 days. No real rush on this since I have a working system.

Many thanks to all who helped in this rather long process. I'll report again on the results after I install the new card.

Please let us know. I be right curious!

Okay, I'm about ready to admit defeat on this, and accept the slower speeds.

I installed the new Rosewill RC-404 this morning. Easy job. It seemed to want a driver from RealTek, from the installation disk which came with the NIC.

Speeds did not change appreciably. They're still at the bottom end of the scale.

There should be no read difference, should there, whether my computer receives it's signal by hardwire or wireless? I've always had it set up with both. I'll have to explore this a bit further.

"whether my computer receives it's signal by hardwire or wireless?"

Depending how far you are from the router, yes there can be a world of a difference. Let alone that wireless is generally slower than wired.

The router is about 8 feet from the computer, same room. That shouldn't make too great a difference.

Last night I pulled the wireless receiver off the tower, and speed seems to increase marginally. That would seem to indicate that if both hardwire and wireless are connected, then the wireless takes precedence over the hardwire.Can this be true? Or does one just interfere with the other?

It's got to be the rest of my system, old and slow, which is causing the slowdown. Remember the fact that my daughter's laptop is significantly faster using the same cable modem.

If the computer is still slow using a wired connection (make sure the wireless is temporarily disabled), check the ethernet cable. It should be wired one of two ways, or it won't work properly, though it might work slowly.

Ethernet cable wiring color sequences:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Network-Cable

Now I'm a bit baffled. I just booted into XP (as apposed to my normal W2K) and was promptly told that the system had found new hardward, the new NIC card. I loaded the driver from the CD as requested. Then I ran Speedtest.

I ran Speedtest three successive times, just to be sure. the results are ping, dowenload, and upload.
    1) 35, 9.70, 3.96
    2) 31, 12.87 4.01
    3) 33, 11.33, 3.84

This leads to all sorts of questions. Did my speeds change so dramatically because I switched to XP? Because the XP driver is superior? What happened?

Any thoughts?

Sure looks like that to me.

Also, double check speed setting for the nic in w2k. XP would hurt either.

Ping was 35ms, d/l was 2.68, and u/l was 3.39
    to
    33, 11.33, 3.84
    is a nice improvement.

It's got to be the OS--W2K vs XP.

I checked this morning, and both OS's are using the same driver, Realtek 5.719.325.2009, and both are set at 100 Mbps Full Duplex. Could it be that W2K cannot take advantage of the faster speed setting of 100 Mbps and reverts to something considerably slower? Have I missed a setting in W2K?

What is it about XP which makes my connection speed so much better?

The only thing I can think of is a nasty of some sort in w2k.

... flushing the DNS and renew the IPs:

At Start>Run, type in cmd -->OK. At the comand prompt, type in ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. At the command prompt again, type in ''ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

Okay, I did that. My speeds improved only marginally, probably not significantly.

Ping=25, D/L=2.47, U/L=3.60

W2k has me beat. Sorry, but that is best I can do with it.

Thread Information