Port Blocking
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Blocking

Hybrid View

Port Blocking

The recent, and possibly ongoing, post by Yesman has gotten me wondering. I tried Glastnost, and found a possible problem. I'll paste in a copy of their report because I'm not really sure of the meaning. Could somebody translate the report into more easily understood English? BTW, I'm on Comcast cable.

REPORT:

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic
    Results for your host (c-67-170-212-199.hsd1.ca.comcast.net - 67.170.212.199):
    Are certain ports blocked for all traffic?

3 out of 3 HTTP transfers on port 8080 failed to upload any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading HTTP traffic on port 8080 to our test server.

3 out of 3 control flow transfers on port 8080 failed to upload any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading control flow traffic on port 8080 to our test server.

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 580

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 581

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 582

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 583

Warning: Division by zero in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 587

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 638

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 640

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 664

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 666
    Is your upload traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 3077 Kbps while uploads using HTTP achieved up to 3067 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 8080. In our tests, uploads on port 8080 achieved up to 3077 Kbps while uploads on port 40088 achieved up to Kbps.
    Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 920

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /local/var/www/bb/glasnost-analysis2.php on line 920

END REPORT

I've always attributed my rather slow connection speeds to my old and slow system. Now I'm wondering whether the problem might be my ISP, Comcast.

What service are you paying for? There are several tiers of service and I run the Glasnost and found no limitations.

My speeds from http://www.speedtest.net/

I have Comcast HighSpeed Internet--a suitably vague name. I can't find an actual speed claimed by Comcast.

According to Speedtest.net, my download speed is 2.53 Mb/s, and my upload speed is 2.83Mb/s. Would that be the result of the Comcast system, or would it be my old and slow computer?

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes View Post

I can't find an actual speed claimed by Comcast.
    http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Lea...dinternet.html
    Economy 1.5 Mbps

Performance Starter 6 Mbps

Performance 20 Mbps

Blast! 30 Mbps

Extreme 50 50 Mbps

Extreme 105 105 Mbps

According to this chart from Comcast (Thank you SpywareDr) I'm somewhere around Performance Starter. I'm paying $46.95 for "High Speed Internet".

I'm in San Jose, in the heart of Silicon Valley. I'd think my speeds might be a bit faster. Could the problem be my older equipment? How about the modem Comcast supplied?

Going from Economy to Performance , like I have, makes for a huge difference.

Is the extreme the T 1,2 and 3 services train ?
    I have Fios 20/5 Quite fast .

Bet some of these connections would be right spendy.

http://testmy.net/tools/connection_chart.php

Example:
    OC-256 13.271 Gbps

And the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems, enables channel bonding of up to four downstream channels and four upstream channels. Now that enabled them to beat the old 52 Mbps limit.

Yes the modem could cause problems, so reach in back and unplug the power, wait 30 seconds, now plug the power back in.
    When up, run an other speedtest.

Modems will tend to latch up when there has been a voltage drop and doing the power cycling I explained, has worked for me for over 10 years.

Okay, I cycled the modem. That helped some. I hit a d/l speed of 4.22 Mb/s, and an u/l speed of 3.71 Mb/s, with a ping of 55ms. So, it did improve a bit, but still, it seems that Comcast "High Speed Internet" should be a bit quicker.

Which modem do you have?

Mine is a SB 5120.

My modem is the one supplied by Comcast (and therefore probably suspect). It's a Scientific Atlanta, DPC 2100 Series.

A agree, take it in and trade it. Motorola has always been good for me.

Seems the firmware is goofed up in that thing. And the firmware is what regulates the upload and download speeds.

When you say take it in and trade it, do you mean take it back to Comcast? Can the firmware on these things be changed/upgraded? If I enter the market to actually buy one, do I look for a Comcast specific modem?

If you rent the modem from comcast, take it back in with the power supply and they will issue you a new one.

My SB5120 started rebooting on me, so I took it in and they issued me a SB5101 today.
    Nice difference which we like. The 5120 gave me 4 years of good use though.

Here is what they have.
    http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Thread Information