Using the computer on my TV

Thread: Using the computer on my TV

Using the computer on my TV

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. Please move it if necessary.

I would like to be able to access my computer thru my 42" flatscreen TV. But I'm not sure what I would need to do. Is there a way to access my computer wirelessly (it's in another room)? I want to be able to work on Word/Excel/Access projects.

Would I need to build a small/pretty unit to place by the TV, share my files, and keep a keyboard/mouse handy? Do I need a special card to hook to the TV via HDMI?

Any advice/links that you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Don
    Toolman55

To use the tv as a monitor, yes it will be needed to be hooked up to the computer.
    If the distance from the computer to the tv is beyond wireless mice and KB distance, then yes I suggest a 2nd computer.

Had to get a 12 ft VGA cable for my bother, His 54 inch TV is used as a 2nd monitor. As VGA was the only common connection on both the monitor and the computer.

What you need is a media streamer. I've never used one myself, but I'm pretty sure it is exactly what you are looking for. Here are some reviews from over here:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/video-stre...mers-49299176/
    Nick.

I don't think a streaming appliance is what you need. Everything I've read about them indicates they are for media such as movies, pictures, music, etc.
    You indicate wanting to use apps such as Excel and Word. Given this, I would be inclined to go with a computer with a wireless mouse/keyboard connected to the TV...
    Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Press f1 to continue

Thank you, everyone.

Yes ceh383. I do want to use my apps. If my video card has an HDMI port, can I just hook it to the TV? What about resolution?

Thanks,
    Don
    Toolman55

Yes you can hook up an HDMI port direct to a TV. The resolution will be whatever the native resolution of the TV is. If you want audio through the TV speakers, then you have to set the sound output to HDMI in Windows.
    Nick.

If the TV has a HDMI connection.

1920 x 1080 looks good to me on a 54 inch. But then my eyes are not the best in the world.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

It is much appreciated.

Don
    Toolman55

Thread Information