[RESOLVED] Rechargeable batteries rated, at last
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Rechargeable batteries rated, at last

Resolved [RESOLVED] Rechargeable batteries rated, at last

I went searching for the best rechargeables for my digital camera, and found this great study on a camera info site:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I didn't need anyone to tell me which is better, I already know. Sanyo Eneloops are best. I've been using them for a year now and they are loads better than Energizers. Eneloops hold their charge longer and last longer in my DSLR. Energizer, left sitting after a full charge go dead before I need to change batteries in the camera. Enegizers cost more than Eneloops also.

These batteries were recommended by fellow photographers. I trust their advice.

Read reviews here:

http://www.adorama.com/BYSEAA4.html

Also shows price of four pack.

The important thing is how you charge them - nothing will kill a rechargeable battery faster than incorrect charging

It's well worth investing in a decent charger that can monitor the charge level and can condition the batteries. I find that if cared for properly, it doesn't make a lot of difference what brand I use.
    Nick.

I started to respond to this again but for some reason I closed the tab..

Well, on my Energizers I use the large Energizer charger. They still don't hold their charge longer than a few weeks. On the Sanyo Eneloops, I use their charger too and charge holds longer even if not being used.

I had to search but finally found the charger of all chargers.

http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-M.../dp/B000NLUSLM

Used by many photographers and who swear this is the best charger for camera batteries.

So, if you buy Eneloops, and this charger, you're set right up for good.

That does look like a good charger. I use an Ansmann Energy charger:

http://www.ansmann.de/cms/businessdi...-stations.html

On their holding charge, if you use plain Ni-MH batteries, then self-discharge is a well-known issue, and there isn't much to be done about it. But I have started using "Hybrid Ni-MH" batteries, and they hold their charge for a very long time (they claim to still have 80% charge after a year). I've got some Uniross ones, and some Hybrio ones, and they are far, far superior to plain Ni-MH's
    Nick.

Those "Hybrid Ni-MH" batteries I had read good things about.
    Seems lots of folks have them.
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&n...f87efc6f926f13

You three are all way ahead of me. I just bought my camera this summer. My previous one had an internal rechargeable battery that lasted about 8 years and was still good when the camera died.

Can you recommend any of the chargers at Adorama.com, so I can save on shipping both together? I don't need the charger of all chargers, as I take only a few photos at a time, and not very often.
    Last edited by foxy; January 4th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this setup. http://www.adorama.com/BYSEAA4WC.html

Charger charges eneloops and other batteries, but for those batteries that take longer to charge, ie, Energizers, this charger only charges half life.

Explanation here, I also have energizer rechargeables that I use in my flashlights, and I charged them in the Eneloop charger which charges batteries in 7 hours. Well, my enegerizers after a charge in this charger showed only half charged. So, now I just use the eneloops charger for my Eneloops batteries, and use the Energizer charger I have for any other battery.

I like my Eneloops because they last after charge. So they would be ideal for you foxy if as you say you don't do a lot of photography. They'll not go dead when you pick up the camera weeks after the last photo.

There is nothing there that I can see that I would class as a decent charger. Any of them will charge the batteries, but you may not get many cycles out of a set of batteries. If you do want to use a standard charger, go for one that charges the batteries as slowly as possible. Fast chargers may seem very convenient, but they can kill batteries after a short time. If you need a fast charger, go for an expensive model with the sophisticated circuitry, such as Photolady or I recommended - it will pay for itself before long, because you won't have to keep buying new batteries..
    Nick.

Fast charging isn't an issue for me if I have 4 batteries. Re: the Eneloop/Sanyo pkg you cited, Photolady. How long is the charge of Eneloop batteries? And can use use the same charger for AAA?

And I hope this whole thread has been useful to anyone in the VDR community.

Another issue with my camera might be relevant-- I'm using regular alkalines now. As soon as the batteries are just slightly down, the camera tells me they're exhausted. Testing the batteries shows they're almost full.

I returned the camera and bought another, and the problem is the same, so it's not a defect, but built in. I've gotten around it a bit by allowing the screen to close 30 seconds after each shot, the lowest option.

Must the rechargeable batteries be completely discharged before you recharge them? The regular batteries I'm using now, of course are never fully discharged.

Regular alkalines are for flashlights not cameras. Remember most point and shoot cameras use the flash even if not needed and flash uses up battery power. My DSLR won't even let me use flashlight batteries.

My Eneloops will last a few weeks with constant usage. Shelf life is double what most rechargeables have. And no, the Eneloops can be recharged before they're depleted with usage. That's another reason I like mine.

Buy the Eneloops and charger, you'll be happy you did.

I now now about alkalines, as I've educated myself. Thanks heaps.

I guess the Eneloops came out after that article was published. Going to write to the author about upodating.

They've been around for quite a while. Perhaps the author just never heard of them.

Read the FAQs here:

http://www.eneloop.info/home/faq.html

One question was about shelf life and Sonya says Eneloops will retain up to 75% of charge even after three years.

Then it's not a complete set of tests. He had some pretty obscure names in there.

Thanks, ordered the pkg deal tonight.

Thread Information