Windows 7 Profile hassle after reimaging

Thread: Windows 7 Profile hassle after reimaging

Windows 7 Profile hassle after reimaging

I spend a few days getting my pc(s) the way that I want them. I also spend a few hours on configuring the profile I log in with to perfection.

Lets call the newly configured profile "test".

If the machine is removed from the domain and then added again a new profile is created in addition to "test". This is normal behavior.

Lets call this profile "test.000"

I can look back in as local admin into my old profiles and see the profile name with the desktop being exactly the way that I left it.

If I rename the newly created profile "test.000" to "test.old" much as you could in operating systems like XP and prior, you unfortunately end up loading a temporary profile.

So I tried this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454362

It didn't work out for me. Eventually I end up not being able to log into my profile, the screen going black and it logging out of the profile within seconds. I am getting tired of reimaging the machine over and over only to get the same result.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ukiltmybrutha; January 27th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

What is the reasoning behind removing the PC from the Domain, and then re-adding it?

This....

"The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"

It happens at the worst possible time. Wife needs to get her school work done. A machine gets rebooted, and then I am off at work. She has to log in locally as admin just to be able to use the machine. Printer functionality is lost, favorites are gone etc.

After googling that problem to death, it looks like removing it and adding it to the domain is the way to resolve that issue.

Unfortunately I now have this issue.,

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What is the reasoning behind removing the PC from the Domain, and then re-adding it?

I am still confused. I assume that you are connecting to a domain for your work, and that is limiting internet access, which is the reason for removing it from the domain?

If that is the case, the best solution might be a multi-boot system so you don't have to disconnect from the domain, but boot to a separate copy of Windows that is not connected to the domain. Of course, the best solution is a separate computer. Work domains limit internet access to protect company assets.

No, this is a home domain. I keep a home domain to support my IT career path and to keep me sharp. My wife is just beginning IT and she needs to be kept sharp as well. All of the machines are fully licensed by the way.

The server's OS is 2008R2. There are multiple Windows 7 clients in the home as well.

As far as a reason for removing it from the domain. Say the machine experiences a threat or has some other common cause for needing a reimage. (Something like the machine is experiencing an issue that I am not smart enough to fix). I like to reimage it using an enterprise solution because that is how things are for me at work and there is no reason that this shouldn't work at home either. The image has our user profile set up exactly the way we want it.

Sooner or later after imaging and logging off or rebooting, I will experience the following error message:

"The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"

I know from experience that this problem happened on operating systems like XP and prior for reimaging a machine that is already on the domain but the verbage was somewhat different.

After googling that error message to death, the main "fix" for the issue seems to be removing the machine from the domain and adding it.

In fact, I believe the fix was the same for Windows XP and prior OS.

From here on is where things seem to be different for Windows 7 as opposed to prior OS.

In OS prior to Windows 7, you could rename the current profile to something else (.old for example) and rename the desired profile to the desired name and log into that profile.

For Windows 7, it looks like it is a big hassle to do this.

Make sense?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I am still confused. I assume that you are connecting to a domain for your work, and that is limiting internet access, which is the reason for removing it from the domain?

If that is the case, the best solution might be a multi-boot system so you don't have to disconnect from the domain, but boot to a separate copy of Windows that is not connected to the domain. Of course, the best solution is a separate computer. Work domains limit internet access to protect company assets.

Ended up just reinstalling a fresh copy of windows 7 and joining it to the domain. Too much hassle getting this figured out.

Thread Information