January 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM
[RESOLVED] "Chrome Active Document" sites won't load.
My PC browser is IE8.
A few weeks ago I noticed that it won't open certain websites. The same message comes up..."ChromeActiveDocument Class", and it presents three choices; open, save, or cancel. If I click 'open', a blank white screen appears, and the computer simply locks up, forcing, at best, closure of the browser, or at worst, a control-alt-delete shut down. 'Save' saves a page to my desktop which, when opened, gives a text-based page of mostly illegible letters and symbols.
A few of the sites are: Yahoo, Skype, Living Social, Groupon, Facebook, King5, and several others.
Thinking it migh help, I installed Google 'Chrome', but it made no difference...I still couldn't open those sites.
I took the computer in to be serviced, mentioned the issue with the "Chrome Active Document Class", and when I picked it up...voila!...I could open the sites, and when asked, the service guy muttered something about 'optimizing windows', and 'clearing the cache'...but within a couple of weeks, I'm experiencing the same problem.
I have a DSL connection through Comcast, but so is my laptop and it loads fine.
What is a "Chrome Active Document Class", and what is going on with my computer to cause issues with these sites?
January 14th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Google have an add-on for Ie called Google Chrome Frame, when installed, if you browse to specially coded pages it activates and runs the content using the faster, modern chrome engine instead of the obsolete, slow, Ie engine. Useful in work environments where you are not allowed to install modern browsers and find IE aching slow on many sites (assuming the site of course has been coded for the plugin)
Do you have Chrome Frame installed, as I have seen these errors mentioned on some of the google group pages discussing Chrome Frame?
Do you still get the error when using the actual Chrome browser to access the pages?
Can you access the pages using for example, Firefox?
Last edited by General Winters; January 14th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
January 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Try running IE in "No add-ons" Mode. You'll find it in All Programs>Accessories>System Tools. If the sites are OK in there then you know the problem is caused by an add-on.
January 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM
SOLVED! "google active document" won't load
Many thanks to both General Winters and Super Sparks for their input.
I installed Google Chrome, to no avail...so...I uninstalled, and I opened IE8 in "no add-on" mode, and all problem sites opened fine. Closed that screen, and reopened IE8, went into 'tools'-'manage add-ons', and found 'Chrome Document BHO' on the list of add-ons, thought "hmmm"...disabled it and presto!...all problem sites work fine.
I will experiment with both Chrome and Firefox in the near future to gauge the improvement in my browsing speed and general experience, but for now I'm simply going to savor the first trouble-free/aggravation-free internet browsing in months.
Thanks, and you guys are awesome!
January 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
You're very welcome, I'm glad you got it all sorted out
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)