Codec not creating video after recording wtih CamStudio

Thread: Codec not creating video after recording wtih CamStudio

Codec not creating video after recording wtih CamStudio

I've recently been using CamStudio to do some screen recording of videos that can't be downloaded using any free video downloaders. The free CamStudio screen capture is my workaround to this problem.

The suggested codec to use is either CamStudio's own CamStudio Lossless Codec or Lagarith Lossless Codec. I have tried using Lagarith and the quality is way better than others such as Microsoft Video 1 or MPEG-4 VK1 (Codec 1 throguht to 3) amongst others.

But the problem I have with Lagarith is that for short recording time, it is ok, But for longer recording time (around 10 mins or so) it does not work. After (anything between 40% to 75% depending on the recording) compressing the recording to create the video, it comes up with the message:

"File Creation Error. Unable to rename/Copy audio file"

I tried the CamStudio codec last night for a long recording and got the same error message after it's compressing/saving the fiile to something like 60%

Please help, either to fix this or an alternative codec to try that will give the same quality as the two mentioned. The CamStudio support is not working. So no joy there.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

BTW, I am using Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP Pro with SP3 on my laptop.

What file size are the temporary files the program is producing?

There is a file limit of 2gb according to the forum, so you could try reducing the frame rate if the temp files are approaching that.

Quote Originally Posted by General Winters View Post
    What file size are the temporary files the program is producing?

There is a file limit of 2gb according to the forum, so you could try reducing the frame rate if the temp files are approaching that.
    This is the first time I am dealing with codec. Never had given any thoughts to them, their function or what they are for. I didn't know that there is a max limit to the size of the file they can handle. Is this 2gb just for the Lagarith codec ? I've just tried another recording to find out the temp file size and the temp audio is 169 MB and for the video, it is 2.16 GB. So I suppose this is the reason that it is throwing up the error message.

I've also tried the same clip using CamStudio codec as well as the MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec v1.2 and they all came back with the same error message.

Is there any other similar codec that can handle a bigger file ? Thanks.

The limit appears to be because the program saves the avi files in the old 1.0 format instead of a newer specification avi 2.0.

Some people have mentioned they could import the crashed video into virtualdub and save it (virtualdub saves avi files in the 2.0 format)

The limit appears to be because the program saves the avi files in the old 1.0 format instead of a newer specification avi 2.0.

Some people have mentioned they could import the crashed video into virtualdub and save it (virtualdub saves avi files in the 2.0 format)
    Thanks for the info about the limitation. But not sure about the part on importing the crashed video.....etc. Sounds complicated. I'd prefer if there is an alternative codec or some other forms of work around as I am not that savvy in this area.

I've been playing around with the frame rate and now, I seem to have lost the video and only got the sound on those recording that were successful. Even using other codec, etc, I can't get any video now Would be good to know what caused this.

I've done a restore point back to when it is working, but still does not work. Looks like I have to reinstall and hope it works. But would be good to know the cause of this for future reference instead of having to reinstall everytime this happesn

Its not the codec thats the problem, the problem is (apparently) that the programmers designed the program to use an older spec version of avi files to save, and thus they would need to update the program and make the avi save in the newer spec.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussio...ibooks-article

File Size

CamStudio currently cannot create avi files over 2GiB in size. Files over this size will likely be corrupted and difficult, if not impossible, to recover.
    If you read down to the post by booklover, he has some instructions in using virtualdub.

Just out of interest what videos are you trying to download?

Its not the codec thats the problem, the problem is (apparently) that the programmers designed the program to use an older spec version of avi files to save, and thus they would need to update the program and make the avi save in the newer spec.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussio...ibooks-article

If you read down to the post by booklover, he has some instructions in using virtualdub.

What a pity that the programmers designed it this way as it could be such a great captre/recording program !!

Thanks for the links. I'll also take another look at what booklover said later today and see if I can follow the instructions.

Having reinstelled camStudio, it now work again. But I also need to delete the lastest installed MSUScreen Capture codec and for some reason, I can't help feeling the quality is not as good as the last time. But maybe it's just me

In the meantime, I have found another recording/screen capturing program that works. It's called BB Flashback. But the problem with this is that it records on a fbr format and their free version of the software only allows the files to be converted to either Flash or Avi format. But when the downloaded/captured file is converted, its quality got worse and I also need the final file to be in WMV format so that I can edit out some parts that are not relevant to my need, etc with Windows Movie Maker. But this would mean coverting fbr to avi then avi to WMV degrading the final quality quite a lot. I have not been able to find a free program that converts fbr to WMV directly. So if anyone knows, please point me to it. Thanks.

virtualdub.

Ooops ! Forget to answer this bit of your question.

Im trying to download some bbc iPlayer programs as well as a few 4 On Demand programs relating to food history and reciepes amopngst others. Not sure if your location is considered as still within the UK for their links to work. But you can try and have a look at this as a start if you are interested:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ish_Takeaways/

UPDATE:
    Since I was last here and not having heard from anyone else, I've tried a few other screen recorder. But the one main annoying problem I have is that the playback audio seems to come out with a "hallow" effect - like the person in the video is talking through a tunnel. Once in a while, when I played with the audio setting for the particular recorder, it comes out ok as it is like the origianl video. But when I next come to use it, it reverted back to the hallow effect. I am also not sure what setting I made to get the origianl effect.

Can any one please help and suggest how I should set my default audio setting and from where. It seems that when I play back the recording, I get 2similar icons on my task bar that when I move my cursor over it, it shows:

ffdshow audio decoder:
    Input: PCM stereo, 44100 Hz (uncompressed)
    Output: PCM. Stereo, 33100 Hz, 16-bit integer

When I double click on either of the 2 icons, a pop up windows shows up with the heading:

ffdshow audio decoder configuration

with a long lists of data that I am not sure what to do with it, if any. I've never had these icons on the task bar or anywhere before.

Please bear in mind that this is my first experience in dealing in this area and will need a simple step by step instruciton if any.

Many thanks and here's hoping I will get more help that I have so far.

Thread Information