Missing subtitles

Thread: Missing subtitles

Missing subtitles

I am having a consistent problem with foreign movies that I have downloaded. When I open them on my PC with VLC player, everything is fine. When I put them on a thumbdrive and try to play them through my Playstation 3, the subtitles are gone, I have tried to open them with the subtitle option, but I always get the message that no subtitles are available. I have tried to stream them directly to my PS3 and I do get the subtitles that way, but after about 10 minutes or so, the video starts to stutter and pause. Any suggestions?

Most .avi files and the like either use hardcoded subtitles, or the player reads the subtitles from an external file such as a .srt file.

.mkv files can contain multiple internal streams, audio, video and I think subtitles, but playing or accessing them depends on the players abilities.

What type of files are you playing, and if they came with a subtitle file are you copying that over to the thumbdrive as well?
    Last edited by General Winters; December 17th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

They are .avi files. The PS3 doesn't play .mkv files and I have had mixed luck with .mp4's. They are hardcoded subtitles. If the files contain a .srt file, I always burn the the movie to a disc with the subtitle file added. That's basically why I can't figure out why the subtitles won't appear on the PS3.

Thread Information