New Approach

Thread: New Approach

New Approach

First I can say thankyou for replies to my previous inquireries.

Have a Win 7 Pro, 64 bit w/svc pk1
    Intel Pentium P6200 2.13GHz w 3GB RAM

Win 7 pro has the ability to partion. What I need to know is which of the following Microsoft systems discs I should use.

1. Windows Home Server 2011, 64 bit OEM System Builder or

2. Win XP Pro w/SP3 Full version.

I hope this is a legal Forum request if not please feel free to edit out.

Chief
    Forewarned is Forearmed...Chief

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Are you wanting to dual boot with either of those OSes you asked about? Are they full versions/retail disks?

To dual boot you need to install the older version first, then install Windows 7.

More info on exactly what you are wanting to would be helpful.

I desire to utilize the partioning system in Win 7 Pro to install WIN XP and still have Win 7 available then I can at least use XP for gaming as my games will not work with the XPVirtual machine in win7. If I can't get XP on a partition then I plan on reformatting with XP, no win 7 at all. Sounds wierd I know but I've tried many many different fixes to get games to run PROPERLY as they do on XP. (You can check my previous posts for additional info. I wish I had never seen win7 (as a gammer). TIA

You cannot install XP after you've installed Windows 7. You need to install Windows XP first on a partition, then install Windows 7 on another partition.

Did your computer come with Windows 7 preinstalled?

As you have Windows 7 Pro, you can use XP Mode, which will run WinXP as a virtual machine. It is a heck of a lot easier than messing about with dual-boot setups, and the integration with Windows 7 is superb

Download XP Mode

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
    Nick.

Unfortunately, many of today's games will not play in Windows XP mode.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...e-in-windows-7
    • Windows XP Mode was primarily designed to help businesses move from Windows XP to Windows 7.

It isn't optimized for graphic-intensive programs such as 3D games,

nor is it well suited for programs with hardware requirements such as TV tuners.

Supeer Sparks sri to disagree, Win7 XP mod won't run ALL Games that ran on XP. That's why I am trying to do this.

SPYware DR: My games are all 2d, all I get are Dierct Draw problems on win XPM. On win 7 pro I get the game with color problems and 2/3 screen. I am not alone with this problem. Talking to HP and Intel gets to the point of he said, I said, they said.
    The sad point is that after my upgrade to pro and using the XPM it worked like a charm for over 5 months then .........

Photolady: Win 7 pro has it's own partioning (built in), just hit START, put Partionong in search box and you get all the goodies, I just wanted to make sure in my first question was...which one of the 2 available should I use. I'm a wee bit old (79) and the terminology/specs kinda had me quessing. If the partioning doesn't do the trick, I would like to use whichever I buy to reformat my lappy to XP and forget about win7.

To all who graciously replied Thank you and I don't mean to belittle any of your remarks, I'm just win 7 saturated, this has been a month long frustration. Again thanks all.
    Last edited by ChiefE7; November 20th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Yes, Windows 7 has partitioning capability as you say, but I have told you and the others will tell you the same thing. You cannot add an older operating system like XP to another partition on your harddrive. You have to install the older operating system first, then install Windows 7, if you wish to continue using Windows 7.

However, if you just want to buy Windows XP and install that instead of what you have, you can, but you need to make sure you can get the drivers for your hardware, that XP needs for your computer to run properly.

Microsoft > TechNet Edge > Media > Videos >
    Dual Boot Between Windows XP and Windows 7
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710733

Thank you all, I have a reccomendation from another Forum using the internal partionining system and BCD 2.11. I will install it on my BOAT ANCHOR and see what happens. I will definitely post back in a few weeks as to results. Thank you all.

resp Chief

Thank you all

Thank you all whom replied and assisted.

I tried all my tricks and none worked, turned ON machine yesterday and Lo and Behold....FULL SCREEN on the game, re-appeared just the way it went ...Pfft and it was there, must be a genie in the machine named Bill. Again after 65 years in Electronics nothing amazes me more than "The Self FIX"

Danke, T(h)anks, gracious, etc.

Chief

Thread Information