[RESOLVED] Problems with outlook 2010
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problems with outlook 2010

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Problems with outlook 2010

For some reason my outlook can no longer access my main e-mail account and tells me that data files associated with that account aren't outlook data files. The weird thing is, it's just that one account, it has no problem with my other two e-mail accounts. When I make a different e-mail account the default account it has no problem sending and receiving from those accounts just my main e-mail account, even when that e-mail account is deleted and remove.

Using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 outlook, along with Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector-64.

It seems like this didn't start until there was and update for Windows Live essentials.

Actual message:

The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\Timmy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\TimBond0008_msn.ost is not an Outlook data file (.ost).
    Last edited by Agent 0008; November 9th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

"An OST file (.ost) is an offline folder file in Microsoft Outlook. Offline folders make it possible for the user to work offline and then to synchronize changes with the Exchange server the next time they connect. The ability to work offline is useful in environments with limited or unreliable connectivity."

Is this a computer you use at the office? And or has it ever been tied to an Exchange Serer?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The files for standalone users and online use are stored in a .pst file folder.

This a home computer and has never been tied to a server unless some how thru microsofts various programs.

I am a Qwest/Century Link customer who has always used Outlook to veiw my 3 e-mail account thru Qwest. When Microsoft discontinued the service thru regular outlook I started using Office Outlook and everything was fine until last week on the 2nd I think it was.

And I'm really struggling with why just the one account unless it's because it's the main account with Qwest.
    Last edited by Agent 0008; November 10th, 2011 at 10:36 PM.

You could try changing the extension on the .ost file in question temporarily to something else, then start Outlook. See if that gets rid of the error message.

In the account settings in the area at the bottom of the dialog it lists where the data is stored. Make sure it is a valid location. It will look something like this:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst

I since my main address is considered invalid I can no longer change the director thru outlook, I can set it as the default e-mail account but it won't allow it to be the default data account.

I see it's giving and error message in the send and receive box: 0x8004010F

I believe that you are confusing the Outlook data account, a .pst file with the actual email folders that reside within the .pst file. They can't be the same.

Ideally you will have only 1 data account for Outlook though you can have more than 1.
    Within that account you can have as many real email address delivery folders as you wish.
    They are specified on the first page of the account dialog.

Data is here C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst

Mail for one email account goes in this folder: Outlook Data File\Inbox\<name 1>
    Mail for the next one goes here: Outlook Data File\Inbox\<name 2>
    etc.

What you will see in outlook is the inbox with the separate folders where new mail for each account arrives.

If you use separate data account .pst files, you will have separate areas in the left pane of Outlook representing each data file. Each area will contain all of the folders listed under Outlook data file such as inbox, drafts, sent items, deleted items, ...

If all else fails make a copy of the .pst file for safe keeping by exporting the data (options, advanced, export) then delete the problem email account and re-add it. Then you can import the data you exported so that nothing is lost.

Agent 0008--I use Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. My OutlookDataFile.pst files are in the C:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files folder
    Note there is more than one. One is named My Outlook Data File.pst and the other named with the name of my account with the email provider followed by .pst. The latter is the important one--with all your data.
    But you cannot open either in Explorer--only in Outlook. At least with this info you should be able to browse to the right place in Outlook.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I have no data folder following the path you stated, ans since I can know longer set my main e-amail account as the data account outlook no longer allows me to veiw the location of the data file or to be able to change that location. The location I have above was the one outlook was looking in for the stat files. I will try deleteing all accounts again to see if I can regain control and try creating the location you have mentioned if possible.

I was able to create a new data location where suggested but outlook still refuses to bring in my e-mail and still tries to go to "C:\Users\Timmy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\TimBond0008_msn.ost " and says it can't open folder.

When I go under data files and I click on the data file I created it goes to the location you mention, but when I do the same for my e-mail account (under data files) it brings up the Windows LiveHotmail Settings and only gives me the option of User Information with e-mail account name and password settings.
    Last edited by Agent 0008; November 11th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Do you have a folder named "C:\Users\Timmy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\"? If not, create one. Copy the "TimBond0008_msn.ost" file to a backup location, then change the extension on the file in the original AppData location to something else. Place a copy of one of your .pst files in the folder where Outlook is lookign for the files and rename it as the "TimBond0008_msn.ost" file. Then start Outlook and see what happens.

When I try using the account set up for outlook I get and error code of 0x80041059 but only with this one account.

Agent 0008--Run a Search for .pst files. Or for Outlook Files. You are not looking for an .ost file.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Whatis.com > OST file (.ost)
    http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...ition/OST-file
    An OST file (.ost) is an offline folder file in Microsoft Outlook. Offline folders make it possible for the user to work offline and then to synchronize changes with the Exchange server the next time they connect. The ability to work offline is useful in environments with limited or unreliable connectivity.

Another type of file in Outlook is the PST file, which is simply stored on the client or a server other than the Exchange server.

Thread Information