DVD Writer not recognized in BIOS

Thread: DVD Writer not recognized in BIOS

DVD Writer not recognized in BIOS

The problem is specifically my DVD-Reader/Writer.
    My old one, Plextor, after about 8 hard years was only able to read but no longer write.

I recently replaced it with a LG (Super Multi DVD Rewriter GH22) when I was in the states on holiday. After installing it; she worked for about 3 good days and then nothing (read or write).

I thought it was due to my Windows 7's OS (too many problems to name) so today I finally did a reinstallment but this did not clear up the DVD problem.
    I can get it to recognize the old Plextor drive if I push F1 after a message instructs me to do so but not the LG.

The DVD drive use the old IDE cable... I even tried moving the IDE port from Master to Slave position and that seems to have just made matters worse. The DVD drive is no longer recognized in the BIOS.

I installed Windows 7 OS today using my older Plextor but apparently it was not a clean install because now both the new and the "old" OS are both on the C: Drive.

Hopefully, I have nothing more than a bad DVD drive...
    and maybe somebody can tell me how to get this BIOS problem cleared up.

Cheers.
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 6.1.7600 build 7600
    PROCESSOR LEVEL: Intel i5 661@3.33GHz
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55-M
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc 0312, 13.11.09
    RAM: 6Gb DDR3
    GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR: EVGA/NVIDIA e-GeForce 6200LE 128Mb DDR
    HDDs: C: 350Gb-SATA; D: 2TB-SATA; E: 750Gb-SATA
    MONITOR: HP x23LED
    DVD/CD: Plextor PX750A

Did you use a lens cleaner cd. I found 6 out of 10 new burners need it, so I use it on all newly installed burners.

Reading and writing (or a clean lens) is not really my main concern and/or issue here, but thanks Train.

Specifically, why can I not see either the old Plextor-Writer or the new LG-Writer recognized in the BIOS any longer?
    (No, I do not have both installed at the same time)

Could this mainly be because I may have tripped something in the IDE port by swithing them from the master-to-slave positions and then back again to master position when that didn't work?

The new LG-Writer will open but doesn't even spin, at least, the old Plextor-Writer is still doing that and reading (but not writing).

Again, how do I get the DVD-Writer recognized and listed in the BIOS? I would like to do a clean re-install of the Windows 7 OS... but I can't do that if there is no DVD-Writer to place into the primary position.

Cheers.
    Thanks for your patience.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    tried moving the IDE port from Master to Slave position
    How did you do this?
    One thing you could try is clearing the BIOS by either jumping the pins or removing the battery for a few minutes, this will reset anything you've done in the BIOS.

If you haven't done so yet, check where the jumper is on the back of the LG drive. If set to slave and it's the only drive in the computer, then BIOS won't see it. Also, try a different cable.

LG GH22 Super Multi DVD Rewriter Owner's Manual
    http://www.lg.com/pe/products/docume...22LNP20ENG.pdf

Page 3 through 6 go into quite some detail, including drawings, about how to set the jumper, attach the cables, along with important notes and warnings.

--

If you know the 80-pin IDE cable and power lead are good, and you're absolutely certain you have everything plugged in and setup correctly, and it's still not recognized in the (reset) BIOS, the drive may well be dead.

(Note that removing and replacing an IDE cable while the computer is running can kill the drive).

Fortunately, new IDE burners are still cheap, starting at $25 (including shipping) at Newegg.com:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20
    Last edited by SpywareDr; October 29th, 2011 at 09:19 AM.

Yes, the 80-pin IDE cable and power lead are good. They are both just over a year old. If there were a problem with either of them then why do they recognize the old Plextor-Writer and not the newly purchased LG-Writer?

Oddly, the one old Plextor-Writer and newly purchased LG-Writer are recognized, but after getting a new odd message I have to click F1 to continue loading Windows.
    Oddly, the LG-Writer worked like a charm for about 3 days and then nothing. Maybe my little state-side bargain wasn't such a good idea... these little jewels do have a good price on them here in Europe.

I believe that the LG was dead (??)... and I just made matters worse by changing the IDE Port positions (master-to-slave) seeking the solution to the problem.

Next question... I've done a search... How do I disconnect the battery?

Cheers.

If you look on the motherboard, the battery should look like this:

At the top you will notice a little spring clip. Move that away from the battery and it will pop out.
    Nick.

Resolved

BINGO! The battery disconnection-reconnection did the trick.
    There is now a CD-ROM recognized in the BIOS.

Thank-you very much.

One quick question:
    I do not have any of the other hard drives connected except the one for the C: Drive.

In the BIOS I see:
    ATAPI CD-ROM (I am assuming that this is the DVD-Writer/Reader)
    IDE: DVDR PX-750A (and I am assuming that this the IDE cable)

Am I correct in my assumptions?

No, for some reason the BIOS is still seeing the old Plextor drive (DVDR PX-750A). Is that still connected?
    Nick.

Resolved

Yes, it is.
    I plan on using the Plextor for a fresh re-installing of Windows 7 tomorrow.

So there are two DVD/CD hardware recognized in the BIOS? So I am guessing that this DVDR PX-750A should be in primary position in the BIOS before installing???

What is the use of this ATAPI CD-ROM for?

Damn, everytime I think I am beginning to believe I am making progress...

Cheers.

Can you see both the Plextor and LG in Windows?

Resolved

No, I have physically removed the LG-Writer and replaced it with the Plextor-Writer (even though it cannot write, only read). Yesterday evening I tested the LG-Writer in another PC and she is worthlessly dead.

I never had both Writers installed simultaneously. Trying to figure out what the problem was a matter of continually installing/uninstalling between the 2 writers. (I can now replace DVD-Writers with my eyes closed).

I am assuming you're asking about both writers being in my PC because you are wondering what this "ATAPI CD-ROM" means in BIOS?

Cheers.
    Last edited by WinXPisKaputt; October 30th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Yes. Simply because BIOS manufacturers do NOT all use the same exact wording, nor do they always know how to ID newer devices. ("Newer" meaning devices manufactured after the BIOS was programmed). It could be that the BIOS was identifying the LG as an ATAPI CD-ROM drive.

Wikipedia: ATAPI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atapi
    Parallel ATA (PATA), originally ATA, is an interface standard for the connection of storage devices such as hard disks, solid-state drives, floppy drives, and optical disc drives in computers. The standard is maintained by X3/INCITS committee.[1] It uses the underlying AT Attachment (ATA) and AT Attachment Packet Interface (ATAPI) standards.

The Parallel ATA standard is the result of a long history of incremental technical development, which began with the original AT Attachment interface, developed for use in early PC AT equipment. The ATA interface itself evolved in several stages from Western Digital's original Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) interface. As a result, many near-synonyms for ATA/ATAPI and its previous incarnations are still in common informal use.

It might also be that the BIOS is seeing the Plextor as an ATAPI CDROM on the IDE port, and that both lines are referring to the same thing. DVD drives are often shown as ATAPI CDROMs.
    Nick.

Thread Information