OE said it would compact to save space.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OE said it would compact to save space.

OE said it would compact to save space.

Hello, I let OE (6.00.2900) "compact" my inbox to save space. Now every email I had from march thru August is gone. And I need them. How can I get them back. Thanks
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

My body and I have an agreement.
    I take it to places where we have fun;
    it takes me to places where we have fun.
    We're a team, my body and I. Jon Turk

Some of the software at the link below may be able to recover your lost e-mails.

Tip:

Never compact OE .dbx files unless you have backups of them. The compaction process can cause you to lose some or all of the messages even if it does not encounter any problems. Also, there is a limit on the size of the files as well. If they are too large, you will have problems.

Link:

http://www.oehelp.com/

For the future, if your email provider allows it (the vast majority do), then you might be better off using IMAP rather than POP3. All emails are kept on the server so that you can access your emails from any computer without them being downloaded to a single machine. And you don't get situations like this either. I've been using IMAP for years now, and it's better in every way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ccess_Protocol
    Nick.

drhugh--Look in your Recycle Bin for .bak files. If there, you should be able to recover the messages using this procedure.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069/en-us The part about installing an update may not apply to you if you use Windows Update frequently. The part starting with the word Note about half way through the article may be more important.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I get this> "When OE does the "Compact All" now (whether initiated by the user or due to the 100 closings prompt), OE makes a copy of the OE message store and places it into the recycle bin. The OE folders are given the file extension of "bak". If the compaction fails and results in corruption of the message store, then the user should be able to rename the "bak" back to "dbx" and copy it back into the OE message store location to restore the backed up file and the lost messages."
    However when I go to recycle bin and find the bak files, I right click and it does not give me the option to rename. So how do I change from bak to dbx?
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Move the .bak file out of the Recycle Bin. Windows should move it back to where it was originally. You can then rename it.

drhugh
    The link I provided earlier says
    "1.Exit Outlook Express.
    2.On the desktop, double-click the Recycle Bin icon.
    3.Locate the backup file. The file should have a name that resembles mail_folder_name.bak.

Note In this file name, mail_folder_name corresponds to the mail folder that is missing in Outlook Express. If more than one file is corrupted, you may have to restore more than one file. When this occurs, the Recycle Bin contains more than one mail_folder_name.bak file.
    4.Right-click each Outlook Express backup file, and then click Restore. The file is restored to the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder.

Notes◦In this path, %userprofile% is typically C:\Documents and Settings\user_name.
    ◦In this path, user guid resembles {05A26C0D-1173-4013-84A0-EAC2A1FE40F6}.
    ◦If more than one identity profile is used with Outlook Express, there may be more than one user guid. Each unique user guid corresponds to a separate profile.

5.Locate the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder.

Note This path contains hidden folders. If you want to view this folder, enable the Show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options.

If the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder contains a mail_folder_name.dbx file that is the same as the file that you want to restore, move the existing mail_folder_name.dbx file to a different folder. You can delete this file after you successfully restore your e-mail items.
    6.Right-click mail_folder_name.bak, and then click Rename.
    7.Change the .bak file name extension to .dbx.
    8.Start Outlook Express. Your e-mail items should be restored."

In item #4 you right click a .bak file while still in the Recycle Bin and Restore.
    You do not right click and Rename until the .bak file is in the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder per #6 of the instructions.
    Jim

5.Locate the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder.

Note This path contains hidden folders. If you want to view this folder, enable the Show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options.

If the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder contains a mail_folder_name.dbx file that is the same as the file that you want to restore, move the existing mail_folder_name.dbx file to a different folder. You can delete this file after you successfully restore your e-mail items.
    6.Right-click mail_folder_name.bak, and then click Rename.

I see only one file with the name I want but when I try to rename it says there that name already exists. But I don't see it and I don't know what to do.
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

drhugh--Please read my last post very carefully and do things exactly as stated. You are trying to Rename too early. First you Restore the .bak file (which moves it to the OE folder) and then in step 6 (after step 5) you Rename.

move the existing mail_folder_name.dbx file to a different folder
    That refers to the existing .dbx file in the existing OE folder, not the .bak file in Recycle (and then in the OE folder after you have used Restore--it is still .bak). If you do not have such an existing .dbx file, do not worry about that instruction. Note the "If" at the start of that sentence.
    Last edited by Welshjim; October 2nd, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
    Jim

OK so I did that and it restored the emails it took out. And there was another existing mail_folder_name.dbx file. So I moved that to a Temp folder. It was every email from just after I did the stupid compact thing. In other words it was all my current email. Jeez I wish MS would not do that stuff. So now how do I get it (my current) back in OE?
    Last edited by drhugh; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

SuperSparks, How do I change to "better off using IMAP" in OE 6?
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Here are the instructions for OE:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264580
    Nick.

Thank you Supersparks. Thank you very much.
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

You're very welcome
    Nick.

I still have this problem to deal with. How do I merge the 2 folders. the one that had my old stuff that MS deleted and I got back, and the new stuff that I had to put into a temp folder and now I cannot see?
    RE: "OK so I did that and it restored the emails it took out. And there was another existing mail_folder_name.dbx file. So I moved that to a Temp folder. It was every email from just after I did the stupid compact thing. In other words it was all my current email. Jeez I wish MS would not do that stuff. So now how do I get it (my current) back in OE?"
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Thread Information