x86-based or x64-based version, how can I tell?

Thread: x86-based or x64-based version, how can I tell?

x86-based or x64-based version, how can I tell?

Greetings,

My pc had to shutdown and restart while coming out of sleep mode (at least that is the message I received). This is the third or fourth same message I have received in as many weeks. It then advised me to click on a link where I may be able to download a fix for this problem. The link took me to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2547549#appliesto

I now have to choose a Windows program fix based on whether or not my operating system is:

a) All supported x86-based versions of Windows Vista or

b) All supported x64-based versions of Windows Vista.

Would someone please instruct me where and how I may find that information on my DELL Inspiron 9400 laptop please so that I can choose the correct one?

Thanks.

Midnyte, thanks for taking the time to post your reply. However I am unsure if you understood my question because I need to choose between two program fixes, one is for a x86-based version of Windows Vista and the other is for a x64-based versions of Windows Vista as per the link I supplied in my original post.

Your reply discusses questions related to the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and does show me how to find which one my pc uses but I do not think it is related to my question (or is it???).

I know little about computers and that may explain why I fail to understand your reply. Could you shed some light on my dilemna please?

From Midknyte's Microsoft link:

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:

1.Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2.Under System, you can view the system type.

If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:

1.Click Start.

2.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

•If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

•If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

Thanks for your post jdc2000 but I still do not understand how the information regarding a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista relates to my question concerning how do I identify whether my pc uses the x86-based version of Windows Vista or the x64-based version.

Please pardon my ignorance of this subject but I need to choose between two Microsoft program fixes - one runs on the x86-based version of Windows Vista and the other on the x64-based version. How does knowing how to identify whether my pc operates on a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista have anything to do with having to choose between a x86-based version or a x64-based version?

By the way, using the info you and Midknyte provided, I was able to determine that my pc uses the 32-bit version of Vista but I still do not know which program fix to choose - the x86-based or x64-based version version of Vista. Do you know which one?

Use the x86 updates.

x86 = 32-bit
    x64 = 64-bit

Click the Start orb, right-click Computer and select Properties.

If you see "32-bit" like in this pic, you're running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista, so select "x86" over on Microsoft.

If you see "64-bit" like in this pic, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista, so select "x64" over on Microsoft.

Now I get it!

I really appreciate everyone's help and especially your polite patience with me.

Thank you very much Midknyte, jdc2000 and SpywareDr.

Good to hear you got it figured out. Thanks for posting back.

Thread Information