[RESOLVED] Moving Outlook 2007 Emails and Contacts to a New Computer

Thread: [RESOLVED] Moving Outlook 2007 Emails and Contacts to a New Computer

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Moving Outlook 2007 Emails and Contacts to a New Computer

I have Outlook 2007 installed on a Windows XP computer. I have another Windows XP computer with Outlook 2007 installed that I want to move my emails and contacts to.

If I open up Outlook 2007 on the first computer and export the .pst file, personal folders and all subfolders will this automotically restore everything into my second computer once I import the .pst file into that one?

ginky4--Perhaps of help
    http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm
    http://www.ucalgary.ca/it/help/artic...tlook07/impexp
    You will, of course, have to get the "backup" data over to the second PC. Depending on size of data that can be done using external drive, flash drive, cable, etc.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

This actually turned out to be really easy to do. The first thing that you need to do is install Outlook 2007 onto the new computer but do not open it up.

Now open up Outlook 2007 on the old computer that you want to transfer from. Make sure that you can see Hidden Files and Folders. Go to File, Data File Management. Click onto the tab called Data Files. In the box below you should have something called Personal Folders and you will probably have something else called Archived Folders.

You can open each one of those directories by choosing Open Folder. That should take you to the directory where these files are stored and you should see something called Outlook.pst If you click onto the Archive.pst and hit open it will take you to the directory with that file. Both of these files reside in the same place.

You now need to copy and paste both of those files into the same directory on the new computer. I saved my outlook.pst and my archive.pst to a flash drive. The directory that you copy to on the new computer should be C:\DocumentsandSettings\username\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook

If you have more that one Email Profile in Outlook 2007 on the old computer they will show up as Outlook1.pst , Outlook2.pst under the data tab and so on. If you want those profiles to copy over to the new computer then you will need to move those files too.

Once the files are copied to the new machine it is just a matter of opening up Outlook 2007 on the new machine and everything should be there. I didn't have to mess with setting up any mail server settings or anything in my case. Doing it this way moved my Contacts, All of my Personal Folders including all of my emails , and even my Calender.

Just make sure that you copy the files from the old computer to the exact same directory in the new computer. Also make sure that you can see Hidden Files and Folders on the new computer.

Thread Information