WLM: An unknown error has occurred

Thread: WLM: An unknown error has occurred

WLM: An unknown error has occurred

Hi All,

Whenever I get junk email (Windows Live Mail), if I try to delete it or even move it, I get a Windows Live Mail window that says "An unknown error has occurred". I know folks have been seeing this and the workaround didn't help me (which I'd have to go search for again since I can't even recall what it was).

Thanks,
    Nancy

And what antivirus are you using?

It should look similar to this:

An unknown error has occurred.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800C0148

Train - I'm using Trend Micro but having problems (after my virus cleanup) with OfficeScan Listener service not starting up. When I turn on my PC, I have to manually start the service :-( and then I can update Trend Micro components.

Where do I find the Live Mail Error ID # ? When the window pops up, it has Windows Live Mail in the title bar and only shows the text 'An unknown error has occurred'.

Thank you,
    Nancy

Uninstall Trend, reboot then reinstall.

Tend being corrupted, well looks like it is, may be causing the error message.

Thanks Train. I think I may have to get another anti-virus program. This one was supplied by the company. I no longer use my home PC to access our network (they gave me a company PC) so perhaps the "link" may have stopped updating things on my home PC.

Listening to Leo LaPorte, he recommends Nod anti-virus software - I think the company is called ESET. I'm tempted to get the 2 year offer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nancy

I use Eset NOD32 on my PCs, I think it is a great AV

NOD32

Out of the freeware ones, I like MS Security Essentials:

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Nick.

Patience--You post that it is a Windows Live Mail window that has the error message, so you may want to look into solving a WLM problem.
    The following reference may help. It does mention the possiblity the problem is caused by your antivirus program, but also has other ideas.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/martinpoon/a...on-of-ie8.aspx
    Some other ideas.
    1) What happens if you close that message? I understand you are trying to delete a junk message. Does it delete, after closing and reopening WLM?
    2) Find the Store Folder for WLM and delete the whole Deleted Items folder. Reboot. You should have created a new Deleted Items folder. On my Win7 PC the Store Folder is at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ followed by a code identifying the email service provider. It is usually pretty easy to pick that latter folder out from the others. That is the Store Folder. Click on that to find the Deleted Items folder.
    3) Create a new identity in WLM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Jim - I'm going to try your suggestion when I get home from work today. I'll post with the result. THANK YOU!

~Nancy

Patience--My suggestion "3) Create a new identity in WLM" is to be used only if you have not had success with anything else.
    Good Luck.
    Jim

Hi Jim -
    Deleting the whole Deleted folder worked but now I've encountered another area with the same error.

When I got to folders under my Storage Folder and try to open an email, I get the unknown error occurred. That means I can't view any of my stored emails and I refer to those constantly.

I'm not very happy with WLM at all. I'm almost tempted to go back OE or use the full OE. Darn.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Nancy

Patience--You should not have to go to a Storage Folder to open an email. Can't you open emails from the Message List within WLM? I
    do not even allow the Storage Folders to show in the left panel (Folder Pane). Right above where Storage Folders would be are the normal Inbox, Deleted Items, etc. folders which when clicked should display all message in that folder in the Message List (usually center of the window).
    Jim

Jim,
    When I exported all my Outlook Express email accounts, messages and folders, I think (I can't quite remember exactly), it put all the OE6 folders that "I" created into the Storage Folder. I have tons of email messages in indiivdual folders (i.e, a folder for Household, one for Time Warner, one for purchases, one for church, etc.). I wasn't having any problems whatsoever accessing these emails until today.

So what changed for the good was that I can delete emails that end up in the 'Junk email' folder and the 'Deleted' folder but now I get that 'an unknown error occurred' when I try to open up ANY email in my Storage Folder.

It sounds like I do not have a good understanding of how WLM works. I was pretty familiar with OE6 as I knew how to back up the accounts, contacts, email folders/messages, etc. For the 4 email accounts we had, we could open up the 'identity' individually and see different folders we had created to store email messages for future viewing. I thought the latter was how Storage Folders work except that I noticed the export from OE6 to WLM only created one Storage Folder so now my husband uses his WLM on his laptop.

I'm so frustrated about this. I really need to access those emails in the folders under the Storage Folder. I guess I can go back to OE6 but I will have lost the latest saved emails in the folders I stored them in under WLM.

Hope I'm making sense. I'm sorry I'm not catching on to WLM quick enough.

Is Microsoft Outlook email going to continue? I use that at work so perhaps I can use it for home use.

Sigh...

Thank you for being patient!
    ~Nancy

Patience--I am not sure you transferred the old Outlook Express message files correctly. If you still have those OE files here is how to do it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...dows-live-mail

If that does not work or you do not have the OE files, consider the following.
    I never use the Storage Folders, so I am not that familiar with using them.
    If you access C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders you will see the folders in the Storage Folder. And when you click on one of those folders, you will see the contained .eml files. Double click on one of the .eml files. Did it open so you can read it?
    If not, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ followed by clicking the code identifying the email service provider you will see the usual folders (Inbox, Deleted Items, etc.). When there right click and create a New Folder. Name it something other than the usual, like Old Mail. Now go back to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders and Copy some the files in one of the folders. Then Paste them into the Old Mail folder.
    You should see the Old Mail folder in the left panel (Folder Pane) of WLM. When you click on it, the titles of the messages in Old Mail should appear in the center of the screen (Message List). And when you open one of them, you should be able to read the message. Is that correct?
    If it works, transfer the rest of the .eml files into Old Mail (or make new folders to contain them first if you want to categorize them). Since you are using Copy and Paste you should not lose any of the mails in the Storage Folder.

And in answer to your question about Outlook, I expect MS will continue it. But it is not free.
    Jim

Hi Jim,

What a mess. I think there are too many things wrong with WLM. I use XP Professional and I'm seeing the following directory structure which shows a lot of duplicates. In the Storage Folder where there are actually files listed, I can open the .eml files up depending on which Storage folder I'm in. I see duplicates of many of the folders.

I'm chicken to do anything further with Windows Live Mail. For now, I'm going to switch back to Outlook Express until I understand things a little better or decide to go with Microsoft Outlook.

I appreciate all your help VERY much and I may give it a try later this weekend when I'm rested. Today was spent sawing down tree limbs and pulling out dead shrubs, planting a new vine and picking up the mess. I'm too pooped to pop right now.

Thanks,
    Nancy

Patience--
    In the Storage Folder where there are actually files listed, I can open the .eml files up
    Does that mean most of the problem is solved?
    You can move those .eml files to the Old Mail folder in "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ followed by clicking the code identifying the email service provider" as described earlier.
    Sorry I did not know you used WinXP. Indeed you can revert to Outlook Express.
    Jim

Thread Information