Computer Freezes a lot...

Thread: Computer Freezes a lot...

Computer Freezes a lot...

my desktop freezes A LOT!!! no matter what i do,, with or without internet...

if you could help me out that would be great!!!

thanks~

When was the last time you removed all the dust and junk from inside the computer case?
    To include using alcohol 90% or better and something like q-tips to clean all the fan blades.

If you have a video card, not onboard, remove it and make sure all the air passages are clean. Yes a overheating video card can cause lock ups.

What steps do you have to take to unfreeze it?

Did it start doing this after you made some type of change to it?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly:

Have a look in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event viewer at the Application and System logs, and see if anything in there sheds any light on what might be causing the freeze-ups. Also, right-click the Taskbar and choose Task Manager, then look in the Performance tab and see if the CPU is maxed out when the freeze-ups occur.
    Nick.

thank you all for replying, but i do not have alcohol 90%,,

i checked the event viewer and i don't really know what do to with it... -.-

can someone guide me step by step ? i'm sorry ,,, i'm not the best when it comes to computers..

Open the case, if this is a desktop, see how dirty it is inside.

...and if it IS dirty inside, use a can of compressed air (along with the alcohol and Q-tips) to clean it out. Do NOT use a household vacuum cleaner like one person I read about. Those vacuums generate a lot of static....he zapped his components real good. And do NOT use a garage-type air compressor like ANOTHER guy I read about. After he did that they were picking computer components out of the trees in the next county over.
    Proper way to use the compressed air can: short bursts, not long drawn out blasts... otherwise you'll ice up the can too quickly. You can get those at any electronics store like Best Buy...even Walmart carries them. The 90% alcohol you can find in any drug or grocery store...just make sure it does not have any gels, aloe vera or fragrances added to it. If you can find 100% isopropyl, that's even better.

As for freezing up...like the others mentioned: could be anything from an overheated vid card to just angering the gods in Olympus. Steve had the first clue...perhaps a program conflict (something you installed) or a virus you downloaded. I'd reboot and run an antivirus program, then try a system restore as Spyware Dr suggested.

(Don't you all love it when I make suggestions that have already been made or clearly implied? How original of me....)
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Thread Information