Internet speeds with dongles for pc

Thread: Internet speeds with dongles for pc

Internet speeds with dongles for pc

I am using at the moment my mobile phone to connect to the internet using USB because i cant afford all the long term contracts with the major ISP's and dont like the idea of even a 12 month contract. Not only you have to pay e.g. £20 per month, on top of that there is another £11 line rental which i dont need. My current mobile connection is not Pay as you go, it is 30 days contract with unlimited internet and free minutes

speedtest.net shows i am getting 0.06 Mbps download speed which is very low. I am considering to get a dongle for my pc from O2 for £10 a month with just a 1 month contract. The speed will be 7.2Mbps (but Mobile-broadband shows it is 7.2 Mb).

Is 7.2 Mbps and 7.2 Mb the same? how much more faster will it be than my current connection ?
    faster basically means i am able to watch youtube movies without interruption, if i can, then that is fine. That will be fast enough for me.
    Last edited by shahan; April 5th, 2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: ) missing

A megabit per second (Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps; not to be confused with mbit/s which means, literally, millibit per second) is a unit of data transfer rate equal to:

* 1,000,000 bits per second or
    * 1,000 kilobits per second or
    * 125,000 bytes per second.

Remember, the distance from the tower also effects the speed.

Be aware that nobody in the world has ever got anywhere near 7.2 megs, with any of the mobile providers. In the real world you might get half that at best, and probably even lower than that

Have a look at these, though the situation may have improved a bit since they were written:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/350...istful-of-sims

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/122465/mobile-internet
    Nick.

Nick.

Thread Information