Trying to connect usb 3.0 hub to motherboard. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to connect usb 3.0 hub to motherboard.

Thumbs up

She's up and running. I had to wait for a new cable from newegg (longer) to connect it but she's working. I ran the cable from the outer 3.0 slot thru the pci slot on the back by drilling a whole thru the metal and installing a runner grommet around the cable so it won't get worn.

I was originally thinking of connecting it niternally which would have made it just a 2.0 hub but decided to stay with the newer 3.0 as I shouldn't need any more additional usb ports.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear you now have sorted it out and how you went about it.
    May need to do that trick in the future myself!

Exclamation

Ran into a problem.

If I plug everything in while the computer is running everything is fine but if I restart the computer it freeze when starting up unless I unplug the 3.0 hub. I checked thru the bios making sure it wasn't trying to boot from the hub but found nothing about booting from usb.

I read that possibly the usb legacy 2.0 could be causing a problem but haven't tried turning it off as I didn't want to lose my mouse or keyboard.

One thing that pops up is the overclocking of the computer. When starting it occassionally shows a few of my CPU cores aren't activated (6 total) and once I disconnect the hub and reboot it says I need to run set up as my overclock needs to be adjusted.

It may be time to check for a BIOS update.

And updating the chipset drivers would be worth a try too, if there are any newer ones available.
    Nick.

Arrow

I use Driver Agent to make sure I have the latest drivers.

I went ahead and turned off my legacy 2.0 in bios and it changed nothing, still froze on restart.

It is possible that you have got a defective USB hub. Is there any chance you could try plugging it in to a different computer and see if that will boot?
    Nick.

I'll give it a shot.

Found out the card connects just fine as a usb 2.0 card but only has problems ceonnecting as a usb 3.0 I guess I will hang on to it and connect it internally as a usb 2.0

It may just be a driver issue in that case. You might want to check for updated drivers, and have another go at connecting it to a USB3 port when they are available.
    Nick.

I talked to a person who works on computers and was told they are a lot of issues with usb 3.0 I was informed to be patent and that eventually a bios update or an updated 3.0 driver would be available that should fix this issue.

Thread Information