[RESOLVED] Can't find new wireless printer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't find new wireless printer

Ok thanks for the replies.

Not much luck on the static IP deal yet, the links from the OM take me to the HP site which says those documents are not longer available.

Recent events:
    I had posted previously about successfully installing the printer and printing from my Wireless laptop. I printed several documents directly after installation with no problem.

Last night I went to print again from the laptop and received the failed to print error message, walked into the printer room this morning and it had printed the job sometime during the night, emptied the queue, and the error message was gone. This is the exact same behavior that the (hardwired to the router) printer is doing. I tried reseting the printer, power off/on but it still fails to print, but it will no doubt print sometime during the night tonight.

Shouldn't this printer work with my wireless laptop at least?

Here is something else I discovered last night which I suspect is an issue. This printer has an embedded control panel of some sort. The directions say to print a configuration page on the printer to obtain the IP addy, then enter the address in the browser and this will take you to panel. It looks to me like the printer has the same IP address as the router. When I enter that address it takes me to the verizon sign on page for the verizon/actiontec router?

The printer should have its own IP address, correct?

Didn't see a P1100 networked wireless printer on amazon. There is this one but it cost big bucks. Certainly far more than the print server devices.
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Networked-t...m_cr_pr_sims_t

Does this type of printer have to be hardwired to the router or to one of the 3 hardwired desktops?

If I had a dedicated server for this home network would that address this print issue?

I ask because it seems like some of the issues I run into with running the 6 machines (with differing OS's, some wired, some wireless) around here come back to having a server to serve the machines.

One example of constant frustration is I use one desktop in my home office, one desktop in my shop, and one wireless laptop around the house. At any given time I may be doing work from any one of them which requires access to the data files, and the ability to save said data when through.

In addition, at any given time I may be doing research that requires the saving of various internet 'favorites' and of course when I next need to access those favorites they are only available on the machine that they were saved on. And I'm not interested in dragging a laptop between these locations every time I move, technology has got to offer better solution's than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Griffith
    ... The printer should have its own IP address, correct? ...
    Yes.

... Does this type of printer have to be hardwired to the router ...
    Yes.
    We have already recommended the use of a network printer that connects directly to a wireless router with a network cable.
    Cheers.

... Didn't see a P1100 networked wireless printer on amazon. There is this one but it cost big bucks. Certainly far more than the print server devices.
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Networked-t...m_cr_pr_sims_t...
    State budget for network printer.
    Cheers.

I'm thinking $150, but I don't know if that is realistic or not. This P1102W was $90.

I wonder if I should just return this P1102W and put my very old HP1100 laser jet (with only a parallel port) back in service along with a print server and usb to parallel adapter cable.

I'm looking through the newegg list of print servers and most of them only offer one port to the printer. Did find one that had one LPT port and one usb port but it didn't say it would work with win7.

Of course then drivers for the old 1100 would be needed for each PC and I don't know if toner cartridges are still available.

The issue with using a stand alone print server is that compatibility problems is quite common.
    Translation: may or may not work.
    And those that do, may have limited support on which printers they actually support.

I'll start search about the prices on network printers.
    Cheers.

Found two models that is close to your stated budget:

Both have wired ethernet ports. You may have to supply your own ethernet (network) cables though. I have not checked.
    Between the two,
    In the long term, the Samsung would likely be a better buy if you purchase high yield toners.
    The software for the Samsung appears to be less bulky than the HP as well.
    One of the reasons I stopped using HP models.
    Samsung appears to be more heavy duty model than the HP if the monthly duty cycle is any indication.

I have not dealt with the ML-2851ND but have dealt with the higher end models ML-2855ND and the older ML-3051ND.
    Those two were fairly easy to maintain/service.
    Last edited by Shinma; March 29th, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Network cables.
    Cheers.

Additional options, looks suspiciously like a brother printer but with networking capability...

Monthly duty cycle: 12,000. A bit better than HP.

Another,

Monthly duty cycle: 30,000. Same as the Samsung.
    Cheers.

A little more spendy, but what I use.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/m...370dw&tab=spec

I have not used the wireless though. Everything is wired here.

the printer I had trouble installing without VR DR helpers
    is a HP Deskjet F4500 series. cost was 49.00 USD from walmart online it can be wireless or USB and the cable came with it!
    if it aint broke, work on it til it is

Thanks very much for the replies and links. The P1100w is being returned tomorrow and I'm looking through the links for a replacement now.

My understanding is these printers are wired to the router using a network cable with RJ45 to the router and mini usb to the printer? I understand they can be configured to be used through one computer that remains on, but that's the method I had before with the old printer and would rather not go that route.

Might have a problem with wiring it to the router however as all four ports on the verizon/actiontec router are full. Seems I have four wired devices in service, not the three as posted in the OP. That of course doesn't leave anywhere to plug in the printer.

However, there is a single open port on the router that is labeled differently than the four output ports currently servicing the wired devices. This port looks to be an RJ45 but it says, 'WAN 100 10', don't suppose the printer could be plugged into that?

Thanks

You would not plug the printer into the WAN port on the router. If all router network ports are used, you may need to pick up an inexpensive 10/100 switch like the ones below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Griffith View Post
    My understanding is these printers are wired to the router using a network cable with RJ45 to the router and mini usb to the printer?
    No, a proper network printer will have an RJ45 port on it, and you connect it to the router using the same type CAT5 cable that you use to connect a PC to the router. Once it is installed on the LAN, you just need to install a printer driver on each computer that needs to be able to print. Then every computer can print directly to the printer completely independently, regardless of any other computers on the LAN.
    Nick.

Out of that list of switches that jdc2000 posted, I highly recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122005
    Nick.

Thread Information