[RESOLVED] Can't find new wireless printer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't find new wireless printer

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't find new wireless printer

We have three wired desktops and three wireless laptops running on our home internet using a verizon fios actiontec router with the main wired desktop hardwired to an old HP deskjet printer.

I just purchased an HP Laserjet wireless P1100 printer in the hopes of being able to offer printing to all the computers and not be dependent on the main machine being turned on all the time.

Following the instructions I connected said printer to the main machine with the usb cable and proceeded to use the HP software to set the printer up for wireless use. Installation seemed to go fine, it did a bunch of stuff with finding the router, installing drivers and such. Finally said it was done and to disconnect the usb cable from the printer.

I cannot get the printer print from the main desktop (XP media OS) (hardwired to the router) or my laptop (XP Pro OS) (wireless). When I try and install the printer on either of these machines they don't seem to find the printer?

Thanks

Windows can be a bit like that, it's hit and miss with finding my network printer too. If it doesn't find the printer, you have to manually add the printer's IP address, etc. in the Add Printer wizard.
    Nick.

Thanks for the reply. I came into the office this morning to find that some of the documents I had sent to the printer last night and errored out actually printed, hours later apparently, and the windows fail to print error message was cleared.

It appears that the printer is installed/found by my desktop as it shows that model when I print from word, email, or the internet but it comes up with the failed to print error message. In addition I see the little printer icon in the system tray and has the little red question mark error icon.

Now it did print at one point this morning just kind of randomly, and if I turn it off and back on it will print any documents. But once it goes to sleep it will not print anymore, even if I push the button on the printer to wake it up. If I turn it off and on again it will print again (while it's awake).

How do I find out the IP address of the printer so I can try and install it on my laptop?

Also, can you tell me how to lock the system tray open so I can see all the icons in the tray? It keeps collapsing back to the right and hiding a bunch of the icons.

Thanks

To keep the System Tray fom collapsing, right-click on a blank area of the System Tray and select Properties. Uncheck "Hide inactive icons".

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    To keep the System Tray fom collapsing, right-click on a blank area of the System Tray and select Properties. Uncheck "Hide inactive icons".
    Excellent, thank you.

There should be a user manual for that printer on the installation CD. It will have info on how to set up a static IP address for it, which I would recommend doing.

Thanks for the replies and information. I am making some progress here. I reinstalled the computer from my main desktop machine which has no wireless, just hardwired to the router. I installed the printer as a wireless printer and once again it installed just fine, and I then pulled the usb cable out of the printer per the instructions.

Now what I have is this.

From Main desktop machine: xp media, no wireless, hardwired to router.
    Will not print from either sleep or awake mode when a print job is sent to it. Cannot print error message is displayed. Two and a half hours later it prints the job and clears the error message.

Now if I connect the usb cable to the printer it prints all jobs immediately whether in sleep or awake mode.

From wireless laptop xp pro:
    It found the printer during setup this morning and prints any print job immediately whether in sleep or awake mode.

It may be that I misunderstood how these printers work. As I said in my OP we have three hardwired machines (currently without wireless capability) and three wireless machines. My hope was this wireless printer would accept print jobs from any of the 6 machines without having to be wired to them.

I assumed that the hardwired machines would send the print jobs to the printer via the router? If I have to put wireless cards in the three hardwired machines that just blows the plan.

Still reading up on the static IP.

Thanks

If a computer doesn't have hardware capable of wireless communications how in the world do you expect it to transmit and receive any wireless signals?

Wireless communication requires wireless hardware on both ends.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; March 26th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If a computer doesn't have hardware capable of wireless communications how in the world do you expect it to transmit and receive any wireless signals? Magic?

Wireless communication requires wireless hardware on both ends.
    Then how is it that the hardwired to the router desktop is printing the jobs but not immediately, just 2.5 hours later? There is no wireless card in the desktop machine and the usb cable is not connected to the printer.

The wireless laptop is printing the jobs immediately as it of course has wireless capability.

The print job must be going out through the Desktop's network cable to the router, then out through the router's wireless antenna to the wireless printer?

For ~$15 the Desktop computer could communicate directly with the printer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20
    Last edited by SpywareDr; March 26th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Using wireless adapters on desktops can fluctuate wildly in performance depending on location, compatibility between wireless adapter and wireless router...

Generally recommend purchase/use of network printers connected directly to a router/switch via network cable.
    Unfortunately your network printer is listed as being able to only connect via USB and/or wireless.

Suggest setting static IP on the wireless printer and in the wireless router.
    Last edited by Shinma; March 26th, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to add word printer...
    Cheers.

You bought the wrong printer, you wanted a proper network printer with an Ethernet port, then you just plug that into the router and you can print from any PC on the LAN, wired or wireless.

An alternative to Doc's suggestion would be to get a print server adapter, something like one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...server&x=0&y=0
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks
    You bought the wrong printer,...
    I was trying to be polite, so did not say the above.
    But
    Since SuperSparks now stated it, Ditto.
    If possible, suggest returning/exchanging the HP Laserjet wireless P1100 for a network printer model which uses network cable connection.
    Cheers.

Indeed, if it is possible to exchange it, that would be the best solution of all.
    Nick.

Thread Information