reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

Thread: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

Ok so I bought a custom computer about a year ago and it has worked very well up since then but last friday i was on facebook at my wall and my computer crashed, bluescreened, and restarted. And now everytime i try to turn it on it reads this message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" I have went to the boot menu and went into my Basic CMOS and Advanced BIOS menu and found nothing on my RAID. I have just 1 hard Drive and it is internal. My computer will NEVER boot. If there is anyway to fix this please tell me. I will bring in a picture if i can tommarrow of my boot menu. I am at school right now so i can not take on now. If there is no way to fix it tell me were the BIOS is located and how to replace it. I planned on fixing up my computer before summer anyway. I am running a Windows XP SP3 (well was).

I think you need to run the hard drive maker's diagnostic utility on that hard drive. Download this and burn it to CD, it has all the hard drive diagnostic utilities plus many more besides. You don't need to boot into Windows to run them, just boot up with the CD in the drive, select the utility that you want and it will run:

Ultimate Boot CD

If you aren't sure of the make of drive that is installed use the Seagate Seatools, or Hitachi Drive Fitness Test utilities, as they will work with any make of drive. You may find these instructions helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc:

How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?
    Nick.

First thing to do is to go into the BIOS/CMOS Setup and see if the HDD (hard disk drive) is detected. It'll usually show the model number of the HDD. But, if you see the word "None" instead, (which means it isn't being detected), the hard drive had probably died and needs to be replaced.

Double check and make sure the HDD cable is good and its connectors are clean before condemning the drive though.

Ok next time i drop by my friends house i will get the cd and everything and if that doesnt work then i will check the CMOS/BIOS for HDD. Thanks guys.

Check the BIOS first. If the drive doesn't exist, the CD is useless.

i checked it it gave all my computer stats except hard drive so i guess ill just get me a new hard drive. thanks

Thread Information