Laptop won't see router

Thread: Laptop won't see router

Laptop won't see router

My wife has a new Acer laptop with Win7 64 Home Premium. The first few times she used
    it to connect (after initial setup) it worked fine. We live in an RV park with wifi only.
    She can bypass the router and connect via the network, G1.Tengointernet. OR she
    can go through my router, called Wifi Ranger. Last night there was a red X next to the Ranger network.. When I go to Change Adapter Settings I see two entries. One is her
    laptop's wifi adapter. The other is the LAN card into which the router is connected on my desktop. None of my flailings were working so I Enabled her laptop's adapter and disabled the LAN. After that she was at least able to connect via the G1 network. Did I do just the opposite of what I was supposed to do? I might mention that my wife is computer-phobic and gets very irritated-scared. Win7's networking stuff is weird! All of this should
    have been plug'n play.

Thanks
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

I'm not sure I follow the scenario. When you were changing the settings (and saw 2 entries), was this on her laptop? i.e., does she have 2 WiFi profiles on the laptop wireless - one for the WiFi Ranger and another for the G1?

Assuming you normally want her to connect through the WiFi Ranger, have you tried rebooting (unplug, wait 30 seconds, replug) the router? Sometimes they get hosed up & nothing will connect.

When she was unable to connect to WiFi Ranger, were you able to connect with wired ethernet?
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

Have your tried "System Restore"?, (to roll Windows back to a previous state when the computer was functioning correctly):

Thread Information