[RESOLVED] How to add programs when Slipstreaming XP SP3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to add programs when Slipstreaming XP SP3

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to add programs when Slipstreaming XP SP3

My current laptop came with Windows Vista installed and some months ago, I downgraded it to Windows XP Pro with SP3. Sony’s instruction is after installing XP on bootup to install all the Sony Drivers first followed by Sony's Applications before installing all other regular programs I normally use eg. Nero, Antivirus, etc.

I would like to make a Slipstream DVD with all these Drivers and Programs incorporated using the AutoStreamer program. However,
    1) how can I arrange it in the DVD so that after XP with SP3 is installed, the next installation by the DVD would be the Driver, followed by Sony Application before the other regular programs are installed rather than the DVD installing these randomly ?
    2) if one of the programs in the slipstreamed DVD need a product key before it continues installing, how does this work ? Will the installation process stop and ask me to provide the Key before it continues with the installation process ?
    3) the Autostreamer instruction on adding other programs to the DVD is not very clear. It says:

link on this is: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slip..._version_of_XP

………..1) Check the third item on the AutoStreamer's first screen. It says "I want to manually customize my installation."
    2) Continue now as normal however before the ISO file is finally created AutoStreamer will pause.
    3) At this point …( ie add the programs you want….etc…)

I am not sure what it mean by step 2 because when I first started running the AutoStreamer to slipstream XPSP3, it paused after this is done and at this point I can then adding the programs or should start the process all over and I click next when a new window pops up ie I need to repeat the process as I had when I first do the slipstream XP with SP3 ? I know I am not explaining this too clearly, but I hope you understand what I am trying to ask.

Finally, a small clarification. When I was exploring my XPSP3 disk, I clicked on a folder trying to open it. But it came up with a can’t open this folder as it is a unknown application. I then went to Properties and select Open with….and selected Words and the icon changed to Words icon for that folder. Does this affect what is originally in the folder and if so, I do I restore it back to its original ?

I hope I am not asking too many questions in this and greatly appreciate your time reading it and your subsequent advise/help. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or clarifications needed. Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by slickcondo; February 4th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Why do you need to slipstream at all? Can't you just make an image backup with Acronis TrueImage or a similar programs?

Approx how many times a week will you be wanting to re-install Windows etc???
    Slipstreaming is nice if you reformat really often... On the other hand:

Food for thought-> Install everything you need the good ol fashion way - then clone the drive
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the suggestions. But they don't answer my questions though. Put this down to learning process if you like. Besides, I think cloning needs a bigger disk space = yes ??? This brings me to another point - can you include a a zip file to slipstream ? But let's stick with Slipstreams, ok Thanks
    Last edited by slickcondo; February 4th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Actually, you don't want to slipstream at all, what you really want is to make an "Unattended install disc". Not for the faint hearted, mind you:

Unattended Install
    Nick.

Besides, I think cloning needs a bigger disk space ???
    Disk Images are compressed by default for most imaging apps. If it's just XP SP3, drivers, and a couple apps, the image file should easily fit on a single DVD.

I would only create a new slipstreamed disc if I had to do clean installs on different computers, since the HALs would be different. If you only need it for a single computer, it's much easier and faster to create/restore a disk image.

Autostreamer alone won't allow you to add custom programs. You would need to build your own unattended install file. That's what they mean by "customize".

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Disk Images are compressed by default for most imaging apps. If it's just XP SP3, drivers, and a couple apps, the image file should easily fit on a single DVD.

I would only create a new slipstreamed disc if I had to do clean installs on different computers, since the HALs would be different. If you only need it for a single computer, it's much easier and faster to create/restore a disk image.

Autostreamer alone won't allow you to add custom programs. You would need to build your own unattended install file. That's what they mean by "customize".
    Good to know that disk images are compressed. That helps a lot in the planning of future projects. Thanks

The slipstreaming I wanted to do is just for my current machine because as I have downgraded it to Windows XP from Vista, (the Vista recovery partition is still in the HDD partition - intact or not is another question), there is a total of 16 Basic XP drivers + 14 Sony Application Drivers to install. excluding my other regular programs - Nero, Antivirus, etc. If I can get these slipstreamed and install in that order - Basic Drivers first, then the Application Drivers before my other regular programs, it'll save lots of time and the boring process of installing these one at a time when I need to do a fresh install or when it crashes. (I've known to install prgrams out of curiousty that cause carshes every so often )

Strange you should say that AutoStreamer won't let me add customs programs. What does customs program mean in your context ? Reading the AutoStreamer Add programs..How to...., it seems I only need to add the programs I wanted to a folder I create in the VALE ADDED folder that is created in the C drive when I run AutoStreamer. Do you mean the instructions there is not correct ? Would appreciate your clarification on this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    Actually, you don't want to slipstream at all, what you really want is to make an "Unattended install disc". Not for the faint hearted, mind you:

Unattended Install
    Hi SuperSparks.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting reading and lots of learning for me there ! And you are right, a very time consuming process !! But what is the difference between a Unattended Install and SlipStreaming ? Can't I just do a straight forward Autostreaming with the Drivers and programs included ? I don't need the hot fixes part. I think it is easier to let Windows Auto Update do this when it is up and running as it normally woud on a regular install. So does this mean I can leave this part out ?

Very intersting about creating a Virtual Machine. I have been wondering about this for quite a while as it's very useful. Am I correct to say that I create this on its own as a seperate project whenever I want to test a disk or it need to be part of the Unattended Install process ?

The question I asked about the AutoStreamer instructions in my last para in my reply to Midknyte still stands. All I was hoping for is a simple process. But it looks like I'm getting pretty deep in a situation I thought would be as straight forward a process as the AutoStreamer instructions says !
    Last edited by slickcondo; February 5th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slickcondo View Post
    Finally, a small clarification. When I was exploring my XPSP3 disk, I clicked on a folder trying to open it. But it came up with a can’t open this folder as it is a unknown application. I then went to Properties and select Open with….and selected Words and the icon changed to Words icon for that folder. Does this affect what is originally in the folder and if so, I do I restore it back to its original ?.
    Before this part of my post is forgotten, any answers to this question, especially regarding if what is in the folder has been changed and if it's still useable as it is, - ie with a Words Icon on the folder instead of the original Unknown Application icon ?

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...treamer4.shtml
    This particular part of AutoStreamer is where you have the chance the customize your installation of Windows XP. However the customization is not dealt with through AutoStreamer. All of the customizations will have to be created by yourself and this would require a guide all on its own. Luckily there is a website that covers this and I strongly advise you to take a look at MSFN's Unattended Windows.
    That's the same link that SuperSparks provided. It can be a real pain to create the unattended install file.

SRJ and I already said imaging/cloning is easier. You're going to put in 10x the effort and still get a result that's slower than restoring from an image.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...treamer4.shtml

That's the same link that SuperSparks provided. It can be a real pain to create the unattended install file.

SRJ and I already said imaging/cloning is easier. You're going to put in 10x the effort and still get a result that's slower than restoring from an image.
    Ok, now it'c frystal clear to me. Thanks. I didn't have this part about having to create a Unattended install in the AutoStreamer instruction I have, which is the link I gave earlier. Thus my confusion The instructions there seems pretty straightforward. Bearing this new info you provided, I agree that cloning is a much easier process.

This leave just two outstanding question - about whether Virtual Machine can be installed and used on its own or it need to be part of a process (in my latest reply to SupoerSparks) and the question I highlighted in my last post reagarding icon change and if this affect the data in the folder.

I have to agree that cloning/imaging is the way to go. Unattended installs, are really for businesses that have hundreds of machines to upgrade. With an unattended install disk and a volume licence key, they can upgrade each machine with comparative ease. It doesn't really make sense to go to the effort for a single machine, or even a handful. Though we used to have a regular member here who actually liked making them

Just as an FYI, the slipstreaming process is purely to do with replacing the existing Windows files with the updated files that are contained in the Service Pack. It has nothing to do with additional software at all.

On the VM question, you install the virtualisation software just the same as any other software, you could include it in an unattended install if you really wanted. We could do with the specs of your PC before advising further, as there are minimum requirements to make virtualisation a satisfactory experience.
    Nick.

But what is the difference between a Unattended Install and SlipStreaming ? Can't I just do a straight forward Autostreaming with the Drivers and programs included ?
    Slipstreaming integrating a service pack, not additional software. Unattended install is automating installations of Windows. They are two separate things.

A bit more ...

Wikipedia: Slipstream (computing)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_%28computing%29
    In computer jargon, to slipstream updates, patches or service packs means to integrate them into the installation files of their original software, so that the resulting files will allow a direct installation of the updated software.
    Wikipedia: Installation (computer programs)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unatten...on_expressions
    Unattended installation

Installation that is performed without user interaction during its progress or, in a stricter sense, with no user present at all, except eventually for the initial launch of the process. An installation process usually requires a user who "attends" it to make choices at request: accepting an EULA, specifying preferences and passwords, etc. In graphical environments, installers that offer a wizard-based interface are common. However these installers may also provide command line switches that allow performing unattended installations.

Answer file - Some unattended installations can be driven by a script providing answers to the various choices such as the answer file which can be used when installing Microsoft Windows on a large number of machines.

Given that SlipStreaming is to integrate Service Packs, it is strange that apart from the AutoStreamer instruction on how to use, there are others, as shown on this link on how to slipstream http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ack-3-sp3.aspx where there is always a mention that other programs can be included. See under Prerequisite...other downloads on the link just given.

Very misleading unless they meant something else that I am not aware of ??
    Last edited by slickcondo; February 6th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Thread Information