Setup didnot find anyhard disk drives installed in your computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup didnot find anyhard disk drives installed in your computer

Setup didnot find anyhard disk drives installed in your computer

A friend got her laptop from her former employeer and asked me if I could reformat the HDD and re-install XP for her.
    I do not have the original OS (and neither does she).

Her laptop appears to be a Gateway Tablet model: TA1.

I attempted to install my XP, that I prepared a while back as a SlipStream CD with SP3 & ie8.

I haven't looked @ Gateway's website yet, but I'm guessing she'll need a special XP version for Gateway Tablet(?)

any other options?
    would Win7 work? (doesn't look like it's going to let me access the HDD)
    WinXP/98 dualboot - P4 2.4b 533FSB
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700
    HDD1 - 160gig Seagate HDD2 - 60gig Maxtor
    Antec SOHO File Server w/400 watt PSU

Check the bios for an IDE mode for SATA or something like that.

If that doesn't work you need to either add the drivers via the F6 option from floppy (USB) or slipstream them into the XP CD with nlite.

I checked the BIOS and couldn't find an IDE setting, where would it be?

I also checked the Gateway site and it said it has a function built-in to a hidden partition by hitting Alt + F10.
    Tried that too, no luck.

Gateway support: How do I reinstall the Operating System on my computer?
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700

The IDE settings would be under hard drive controllers or something similar.

Are you sure TA1 is the model? Isn't it CX210S or CX210X? You'd need to download the SATA controller drivers and either use F6 or slipstream the drivers onto the XP disc. XP isn't seeing the hard drive because it doesn't have the HD controller drivers.

I also checked the Gateway site and it said it has a function built-in to a hidden partition by hitting Alt + F10.
    Tried that too, no luck.
    It's possible that someone reinstall XP from scratch and blew away the recovery partition. In that case, you'd need the recovery discs if you want it back to out of the box condition.

It's running PhoenixBIOS, I don't see any hard-drive controllers (looked under: Main, Advanced, Security, and Boot tabs).
    Now I understand what you mean, you're saying there aren't Sata drivers on the SlipStream CD I created (I can't confirm or deny it, but it was made from a very old XP install disc).

What does F6 do and when should I hit F6?

btw, the Model No: TA1, M280E.
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700

You need to have a USB floppy drive to use F6 during setup. During the setup, you'll see a prompt on the bottom to press F6 to add additional drivers. You'll need to download the drivers and put them on a floppy first.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...llxpnew1_3.htm

Otherwise you need to slipstream a new XP CD with the SATA drivers using nlite.

Nuts, I have a USB drive, but I can't find SATA drivers on Gateway's site.

I also tried entering the laptop serial number into the Gateway site and it said it was part of a MPC plan and didn't provide any info.

Would I be better off installing Win7 and avoiding all of this?
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700

I'm guessing the previous owner didn't make recovery discs. It would probably have been XP Tablet Edition too.

Where did you look for drivers? Verify the Part Number as well.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=293014979
    Gateway M280 Convertible Notebook [Part #1008547]
    Gateway M280 Convertible Notebook [Part #1008548]
    Gateway CX200S Convertible Notebook [Part #1008549]
    Gateway CX200X Convertible Notebook [Part #1008573]
    Gateway S-7200C Convertible Notebook [Part #1008588]
    Gateway M280 Convertible Notebook [Part #1008727]
    Gateway CX200S Convertible Notebook [Part #1008739]
    Gateway CX2620 Convertible Notebook [Part #1008818]
    Gateway CX2620h Convertible Notebook [Part #1008866]
    Gateway M280E - QS Convertible Notebook [Part #1008935]
    Gateway CX2619 Convertible Notebook [Part #1008980]
    Gateway M280 Convertible Notebook [Part #1009091]
    Gateway M280E - QS Convertible Notebook [Part #2900824]
    You need to extract the floppy creation program and then run it.

I'm not sure the system would work right with Win7. Older generation CPU and probably a small amount of ram by Win7 standards.

Looks to me like you may need an Operating System designed to run on a Tablet.

Gateway M280E (297144-0)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834101003
    Pentium M 740
    512MB RAM
    40GB 5400RPM HD
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Wikipedia: Windows XP Editions > Tablet PC Edition
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...let_PC_Edition
    Tablet PC

This edition is intended for specially-designed notebook/laptop computers called tablet PCs. Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is compatible with a pen-sensitive screen, supporting handwritten notes and portrait-oriented screens. Initially, a retail version could not be purchased separately from a tablet PC, but in August 2004 it became universally available at no cost as part of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Unlike Windows XP Media Center Edition which is not available in a retail or volume license form, a volume license version was also made available.

Tablet PC Edition is a superset of Windows XP Professional, the difference being tablet functionality, including alternate text input (Tablet PC Input Panel) and basic drivers for support of tablet PC specific hardware. Requirements to install Tablet PC Edition include a tablet digitizer or touchscreen device, and hardware control buttons including a Ctrl-Alt-Delete shortcut button, scrolling buttons, and at least one user-configurable application button.

There have been two releases:
    • Windows XP Tablet PC Edition – The original version released in November 2002.
    • Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 – The Tablet PC version released in August 2004 (codenamed Lonestar) as part of Windows XP Service Pack 2. The 2005 edition is available as a service pack upgrade, or as a new OEM version.

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP includes Tablet PC Edition 2005 and is a free upgrade. This version brought improved handwriting recognition and improved the Input Panel, allowing it to be used in almost every application. The Input Panel was also revised to extend speech recognition services (input and correction) to other applications.

Gateway Support > Windows XP System Requirements
    http://support.gateway.com/s/softwar...E01su136.shtml
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

For a computer manufacturer to install this operating system, the new hardware must meet the minimum system requirements of Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional and also meet the following Tablet PC-specific requirements:
    • An electromagnetic digitizer and pen - A typical Tablet PC has a digitizer beneath the screen that accepts pen input. handwriting recognition is more accurate and ink looks more realistic because of the digitizer's high resolution. Unlike a resistive-touch screen, the digitizer makes it possible to rest a hand on the screen while writing. The pen is used as a pointing device and an input device for digital ink that can be converted to text.

• Optimized power states - Tablet PCs have the ability to resume from standby in about five seconds.

• Screen rotation - The Tablet PC display architecture supports rotation of the screen between portrait and landscape views without restarting. With the push of a button or button sequence, the screen rotates from one orientation to another. Users can switch from portrait to landscape modes as often as needed to meet changing work environments and scenarios. For example, a Microsoft Word document lends itself to portrait mode, while a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation or an Excel spreadsheet may be better viewed in landscape mode. The Tablet PC display orientation architecture supports up to four orientations. The display driver must have built-in support for the screen orientation modes.

• Legacy-free hardware - Tablet PCs do not include external serial or parallel ports. USB ports are provided. The legacy-free guidelines of the PC 2001 System Design Guide are intended to remove device interfaces that are not Plug and Play, including disk controllers, serial ports, parallel ports, game ports, PS/2 ports, and ISA slots or devices.

• A hardware button for logging on to Windows - The Tablet PC primary input device is the tablet pen. Therefore, it is important to provide buttons as supplemental input devices. In the context of security, Windows XP requires a secured way to generate the Secure Attention Sequence (SAS). On a computer with a keyboard running Windows XP, SAS can be done by the key sequence CTRL+ALT+DELETE. On a Tablet PC without a keyboard, SAS is achieved by dedicating a button to this function.

• Surprise undocking - Tablet PCs support "grab and go" which is the ability to undock from a docking station without having to notify the system.

I agree, the Tablet OS would be preferred, but they didn't have the OEM OS.

I'm trying to do a favor for a friend, they said it was running REAL slow and locking up. They asked me to reformat the HDD and reload XP and they didn't want to spend any additional money on it.
    So, I'm trying to work with what I have.

I downloaded the SATA drivers from Gateway. What a pain! The exe will only load them to a floppy, so I had to go to an old PC, find a floppy disc!, and creat a SATA driver floppy. Then I copied the floppy to a clean Jump Drive. When I tried to reload XP, I hit F6, to load the additional drivers. The problem is, it's looking for a floppy too! So, no dice. I gave up on XP and reloaded from Win7. It seems to work great, but the laptop is without "Tablet" capabilities. The friend is OK with that, actually she said she never used the Tablet and was perfectly fine without those functions.
    It appears to be working fine, but I test it a bit more tonite.

Unless there are any other recommendations, I'm going to install an AV and leave it at that.

Disappointed I couldn't get XP or Tablet to work, but just as well, Win7 runs fine.
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700

The problem is, it's looking for a floppy too!
    Didn't I say you need a floppy drive? XP doesn't have the ability to get drivers off of a flash drive like Vista/7 does.

For reference, this would be the same deal if you were installing to a RAID or an add-on IDE/SATA/SCSI card.

I reread your post, you said "floppy (USB)".
    I misunderstood. (I was hoping it was either / or)

I don't have a floppy (USB) and I haven't seen a laptop for many, many years with a floppy drive.

Working on old PCs is always a challenge. I'm just trying to use the tools (drives) I have available.

The Win7 seems to be working well. Almost all of the devices in Device Manager were recognized and it seems to be running fine. I think the cpu is P-4 or comparable and it has 2gig of RAM, so it should be good-enuf for her purpose.

I do appreciate your assistance and Thanks!
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700

IMO, A USB floppy is a vital to a good toolkit. I've had to load Win2003 server on many boxes without a floppy drive, but with a RAID/SCSI/SAS card.

And I'm not about to slipstream a new CD for every installation.

I'm still looking for the right SATA drivers as well!

Ive tried many from the gateway site...no luck. Luckily, my OEM Tablet XP CD does view my USB floppy drive.

I've even tried the generic Intel mass Storage Drivers.....and I got the HDD to work with Windows 7, however, the wifi is not Win7 compatible!

Unhappy Using floppy does not work

I found the right sata driver and installed it to the floppy as it instructed so when you hit F6 during setup it loads the driver and starts the installation, after it formats the HD and starts installing the files it stops and says to insert the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver in the A: drive and press enter and when you do that it just sits there because during the setup process it loses the usb function so it can no longer see the floppy. so any suggestions.

Thread Information