[RESOLVED] Can't add network printer to other computer

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't add network printer to other computer

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't add network printer to other computer

We have two computers on a home network via DSL:
    • HP Pavilion 750n desktop, Windows XP Home, Intel Pentium® 4, 40gb HD, 736 MB RAM, 1.60 Ghz

• Dell GX280 Desktop PC, Windows XP Professional, Intel Pentium® 4 (2.8GHz), 512MB RAM, 40GB hard drive

Each is connected to a separate HP PhotoSmart all-in-one printer. I was able to add the Dell-connected printer (C4680) to the HP Pavilion, but was unsuccessful in connecting the Pavilion-connected printer (C4280) to the Dell. I keep getting an error message indicating that the C4280 has a wrong driver, then prompts for the correct .INF driver file for this printer. I can't find the .INF file anywhere and the HP website confirmed that the latest printer driver is installed.

What do I do to add the C4280 printer to the Dell?

So you downloaded both sets of drivers to each PC?

Are you installing the printer as a local first, then adding the TCPIP port?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    So you downloaded both sets of drivers to each PC?

No. When I tried to add the C4680 (connected to the Dell) to the Pavilion, I really didn't have to do anything but click the link, poof! the printer was installed. On the other hand, I couldn't find the INF driver for the C4280 when prompted on the other computer. Should I copy all the C4280 driver files to the Dell computer? It wouldn't recognize the Unidrv.dll driver before.

Are you installing the printer as a local first, then adding the TCPIP port?
    I think I tried both, but when I tried selecting the TCPIP, I was prompted for the printer model. But I didn't see the name of the one I wanted to add, just the local one already installed. BTW, I don't have a network card installed, just a home network.

You should have downloaded both printers drivers to each system. Don't expect everything to be "poof".

Run the driver install for a local printer first. After that's done, configure a TCPIP port.

http://www.tamu-commerce.edu/ctis/he...er/default.htm

Thanks, I got it fixed.

Thread Information