battery alert

Thread: battery alert

battery alert

Runnin xp home on dell 1501. On boot, get message: Warning\; The battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery. |Press any key to continue. Checked battery and shows all in green. When battery is removed, the system boots ok, without the warning notice. Never sas this warning before. Help, always appreciated. Much thannks to all at this site, Jim S
    Jim S.

Shut the laptop down. Remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter. Then hold down the power button for 20 seconds. See if that sorts it out.
    Nick.

reloaded

Hi: Just finished your suggestion, and same popup at boot, which clears when I press the Enter key. Reloaded the computer with xp pro, and same message appears. Again, with the battery out, it boots fine with no message when connected only to the adapor While the battery does registerd green, it does not allow for a boot with battery only. Nothing. I know the battery has to be as old as the computer, so I find it hard to believe it's fully charged and capable of booting the system. Thoughts? New battery? Leave the battery out for a good boot, though this would defeat the purpose of its portabillity Much thanks, Jim S
    Jim S.

bios

Just finished checking around the net. Some folks, apparently with newer computers had the same problem and did a bios update. However, I did not that one chap installed a new battery, and the problem disappeared. Since this is an older system, five or more years old, with the original battery, I'm still wondering if it might be a lousy battery that really doesn't hold a charge. Jim S
    Jim S.

PS

Especially since the system boots without the warning message, when the battery is removed. Jim S
    Jim S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1
    ... this is an older system, five or more years old, with the original battery ...
    Laptop battery warranty typically one year.
    Translation: Depending on how laptop is used and battery maintenance, battery can die after a year.
    Cheers.

gonna suggest new battery

Thanks for your note. Am going to suggest a new battery, and see what happens. Some have posted on net about upgrade on BIOS, but they were talking about new or recently purchased Dell 1501s, not some long on tooth. That's always a possibility later, but figured a battery recommend might be in order, especially, as you note, this battery has some time on it and I doubt it was mainained to mfgs suggestion., Thannks, to all, Jim S Bateries are a tad pricey, but beats a new unit price. Otherwise, this machine has been well cared for by a senior.
    Jim S.

Thread Information