[RESOLVED] Need a Replacement for Print Master Gold

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need a Replacement for Print Master Gold

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need a Replacement for Print Master Gold

For many years I used Print Master Gold to make all my greeting cards. I had used other card programs in the past but none of them let me do the things I wanted to do with greeting cards that PMG let me do. The main reason I liked PMG is because it let me create cards from scratch and import my own photos from my hard drive to use. I first received this program when I had Windows 98SE so I doubt very seriously it will be compatible with my new PC which has Windows 7 on it. I decided to buy a newer version that I can use on WDs 7, but then I read a lot of bad reviews about the new version of PMG. The reviewers stated that the graphics with the program were not that good and that you had to go on the Internet to download more graphics just about every time you made a card. And there were issues of the program not wanting to run. So I am put off and hesitate about buying the new version. My question is, is there a greeting card program out there that will let you create cards from scratch and let you import your own photos into the program? Christmas is coming up soon and I want to get started on making my cards. If anyone has a suggestion for this type of program, $50 is my limit. I have Hallmark's greeting program and do not like it because you can not put your own photo on the front of their cards.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Did the version of PMG you have now work on Windows XP?

What version of Win 7 do you have Sheila? I suspect jdc2000 and I are thinking along the same lines here, that you may be able to get the original program to run in XP Mode.
    Nick.

I never had XP. I went straight from WD 98SE to Vista (). I made it compatible with Vista, but everything was off in the program. So even if it could also run in Windows 7 64 bit, I think it would still look off (graphics, etc). Does that help?
    Sheila

If it ran under Vista, it should run under Win 7. When you say "looks off", exactly what do you mean? If you have a different screen resolution, that might account for it.

jdc2000: It probably was due to screen resolution but I don't know what screen resolution I have or how to find the information. Also, I don't know what screen resolution that Print Master Gold would require. If I were to have to change the screen resolution to run PMG, would not that mess up the rest of my computer, or would I just change it until I was done with the program and then change it back? I am afraid I don't know anything concerning screen resolutions. I have about a 18-20 inch wide screen flat monitor. 18 being from screen to screen and 20 inches being from the side of the screen to the other side.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

How to see and change screen resolution in Windows 7:

http://www.petri.co.il/quickly-chang...-windows-7.htm

The actual key to using PMG may be how the printouts look roather than how the design looks on the screen. You can probably select the screen resolution you had with your old computer on your new computer, although with an LCD monitor it may not look as good as the resolution setting that your monitor is designed for. If you get PMG installed, try a sample printout from one of your old designs to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy63 View Post

I have about a 18-20 inch wide screen flat monitor. 18 being from screen to screen and 20 inches being from the side of the screen to the other side.
    Screen dimension is measured diagonally.

SpywareDr: I did not know that! Good to know because I am sure it is information I will probably need in the future some time or another. I measured again after seeing your statement and diagonally it is 22 inches.

jdc2000: I will check out your link and try out you suggestion this afternoon--right now it is time for me to get my husband up and off to work. He works nights and depends on me to get everything ready for him before he gets up.

Will let you know how everything works out and ask any questions if I don't understand something on that site of the link you sent.

Thanks,
    Sheila

jdc2000: I read the link you posted and it shows how simple it is now to change the resolution. But I don't know what to change it to ()--how do you know what to change it to?

Just got back to my PC so I have not had the chance to try and install PMG yet, should have done that first I guess before I got back here. I will post back here once I install PMG and let you know if Windows 7 let me install it or not.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

how do you know what to change it to?
    Let us know what the make/model of your monitor is or google
    the same info followed by "native resolution" or "native screen resolution".

(or have a look in the users manual if you have it)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thumbs up Surprise, Surprise!

Fink: Thanks for the suggestion but I don't need the information now, and this is why:

When I first tried to install PMG, it would not let me install--kept telling me I only had 4 MB of space on my C hard drive. Not true because I just got this PC and it has a 1 Terabyte hard drive! PMG also had a second option, the second option said:
    If you are re-installing Print Master Gold, press install anyway and will install over PMG.
    The first time I did not press this because I was not re-installing it, PMG has never been on this PC. The second time, I said what the heck have I got to loose, so I pressed the 2nd option to install anyway--and it installed! During the installation it said I did not have IE 4 & wanted to install it () and I declined. That's how old this program is. On my disk it says for WDs 95 & WDs 98. I was fully expecting to have to run the compatibility program for it. But before I could do this, the screen started up for PMG and I figured I might as well see what the graphics, etc looked like before changing anything. Guess what, everything looked 10 times better than it did when I ran it on Vista! In fact, it looked just like it did when I first got it and ran it on WDs 98SE. But I went ahead an created a card just to see what it looked like when it printed. I did not use my card paper in case it did not turn out--didn't want to waste expensive card paper. I created a 4 fold card with plain paper. The birthday card turned out great on the plain paper--and I did not have to change the screen resolution or run the compatibility mode. Hopefully it will turn out this well when I start making Christmas cards with greeting card paper.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, if you had not told me to try this program on my computer, I would have spent money on another card program that I would not have liked as well!
    Sheila

Thread Information