Using GMail with Windows Live Mail

Thread: Using GMail with Windows Live Mail

Using GMail with Windows Live Mail

I want to change my email account from an email program (Windows Live Mail) to a Gmail account. However I prefer the look of Windows Live Mail to that of Gmail, but I prefer the flexibility and portability of Gmail.

Can I use my Gmail account within Window Live mail? If I can do so will I still have the portability of the Gmail account and be able to send emails from a Wi-Fi hotspot?

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Click on the ACCOUNTS tab and fire away... You should see the message about how Live Mail works well with Gmail.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for that. However, will I still have the portability of the Gmail account and be able to send emails from a Wi-Fi hotspot? Also will this look like windows live mail or Gmail?

Regards,

Brian

If you are accessing your GMail using Windows Live Mail on your own computer, then it should look as it does now. If you are using a different computer to access GMail through a web browser, then it will look look GMail.

Thank you both for this info. I am still concerned about some points:

I presently have an email account in Windows Live mail with my current isp. I will be changing to a new isp.

Do I have to delete my present address from my Windows Live Mail? I want to keep it till I cancel my present isp so I can notify all my contacts of my new address.

Do I need to obtain/set up a new email account with my new isp’s address?

The Gmail account I want to access under WLM is an existing Gmail account.

YES...you can have many accounts setup in WLM. THe old one will give you fits when the ISP disables it...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Will WLM work if the only account I have in it is a Gmail account?

As long as you have Windows Live Mail set up correctly for sending mail through GMail, you should have no problems with GMail being your only e-mail account.

https://productforums.google.com/for...il/6ouSfmj1Zaw

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

One last question to Steve:

What do you mean by "The old one will give you fits when the ISP disables it..."? I suspect it will be a real pain to have to advise all my contacts but is there something else I should be wary about?

Best regards,

Brian

Brian: Let me warn you about something I learned the hard way when changing ISPs. When you change ISPs all your Windows Live email that you had gotten with that ISP address completely disappears! My advice to you is that if there is any emails that you want to keep, you need to "save as a file" each of the emails you want to keep to a folder on your hard drive or you won't have it. I lost a lot of business emails because I did not save them before we changed ISPs.
    Sheila

Hi gypsy63,

Good point and thanks for the heads up. I presently have some "Saved " folders under my present isp account. Is there a way to save these or do I have to open each folder and save each email in them individually?

Brian

If you have the "saved folder" within your Windows Live email program, then yes you have to save them somewhere else. I would think that you could try right click on the saved folder, holding the key down, and see if you can drag it to your desktop and tell it to "copy here". If that works, then all you have to do is drag that folder to anywhere else on your hard drive that you might want to save it too. I think that would work because if you were to individually save each email with "save as file", you will find that even though you saved it somewhere else, it will simply be a copy you are saving because the original file stays visibly in Windows Live Mail. Try that and see if it works. If it doesn't, then you will have to save each one individually.

Let us know what worked for you.
    Sheila

You can forward them to your new account.

Train: He could also forward them to his Gmail account since it seems that this is the one he wants to use anyway. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
    Sheila

Thread Information