temp replace PSU

Thread: temp replace PSU

temp replace PSU

My current PSU, an OCZ600sxs has developed an occasionally rattling fan. Not a show stopper but I want to take it in to get fixed/replaced under warrantee.

I have an Enermax EG495P-VE 485 Watt spare that I'm hoping to temporarily replace it with until I get the OCZ back.

The one thing that I'm unsure of though, is the +12v power connector on the the OCZ and my Motherboard (Asus P7P55D pro) are both 8 pin but the +12v connector on the Enermax is only 4 pin.

I believe the 8 pin is to accomodate 2 CPU's (2 x 4).. I'm only using one (Core i5 ) CPU... would I be able to use the 4pin power cable with the 8 pin jack on the motherboard? (I suspect not but it would make life considerably easier )

tnks.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

The 8x connector is simply two 4x connectors side by side. You can often get away with using a 4x connector, and at one time Gigabyte mobos would often come with a blanking plug for those who didn't have an 8x connector.

There is no harm in trying anyway, the worst that will happen is that the fans will run but it won't boot at all.
    Nick.

So which half of the 8 pin connector do you figure would be best? Left
    or right?

If it'll fit at all it will fit only on one side, due to the assymetric pattern of the square and rounded pin connectors. Try both sides, and rotate the connector 90º if necessary.

Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight probably.

If it doesn't boot with the connector in one side, try the other. I really doubt if it matters though.
    Nick.

Worked perfectly!

thanks

That's excellent news I had a feeling it would be OK.
    Nick.

Worth noting for anyone wanting to try similar is that the 8 pin connector on the OCZ actually breaks into to 2 x 4 pin connectors.. I hadn't noticed that when I first installed it. It also isn't mentioned in the users manual.

I'm inclined to just leave the Enermax in the computer. It's just as quiet, has more than enough horsepower and it also has a nice function of letting the fan run for a couple of minutes after shutdown to continue cooling things off which the OCZ doesn't do.

It has fewer SATA power connectors than the OCZ but that isn't a problem for the foreseeable future.

Heck, I would. The right quantity of SATA connectors to have is "enough" and you have enough from the sound of things. Every time you change a PSU, you run the risk of an OSM anyhow.

I've come to believe the need for a high-horsepower PSU is a bit overrated anyhow. I have never used all of my PC gizmos at once and doubt I've ever come close to using 600W of power ever, or the real and realistic wattage potential thereof. A lot of the need may have been created by the marketing types back in the day when a 110W OEM PSU truly was an anemic device.

I agree. I only use a 700W in my Core i7 beast, mainly because I happened to have a new one sitting on the shelf when I built it. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't have enough juice, but it's been absolutely fine. In fact, after putting a wattmeter on it, it maxes out at half the PSU rating. I too think it was all hyped up.
    Nick.

But oversize sure beats dying capacitors causing losing a mobo and what not else.

Finally got the defective PSU replaced today- took 5 weeks for them to get it back to me- and it's now running just fine in my backup PC. They just gave me a brand new one.. probably easier for them to do that than to switch the fan out.

Good to hear. Probably cheaper in the long run, but the time factor . . . .

Thread Information