[RESOLVED] Transfer files PVR to DVD

Thread: [RESOLVED] Transfer files PVR to DVD

Resolved [RESOLVED] Transfer files PVR to DVD

I have numerous video files on the Hard Drive of a PVR and I want to transfer a number of them to DVD discs. When I use WS-Ftp I can do this but it is too slow. I have tried moving the files from the PVR to an external WD Hard Drive but then I am unable to copy or move them onto the computer- error 'File not found'. although they show up in Windows Explorer.
    The files are Ext2 and WS-ftp shows them as having attributes -rw-r-r-.
    Windows Explorer shows no attributes and cannot change the attributes.
    I would like to get the files onto my computer harddrive so that I can edit them and then burn the resulting video to a DVD.

How can I do this????

Ext 2 is a Linux filesystem, which is probably what the firmware of the PVR uses.

I'm not entirely clear what you've managed to do here, if you could post a screenshot of what is showing in Windows Explorer, that would be very helpful.

Screenshot guide
    Nick.

Thank you for the reply. I have found a free program called 'Ext2 Explore' which has enabled me to achieve my intention.
    First I transferred the files from the PVR to a small WD portable USB HD.
    Then I connected the Wd USB HD to my computer and opened the files in the EXT2EXPLORE program. I then selected the files I needed and saved them to the Hard Drive on my computer. There I am able to access the files and edit them.
    Problem solved. Thank you.

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting back with the answer
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by oigle View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have found a free program called 'Ext2 Explore' which has enabled me to achieve my intention.
    First I transferred the files from the PVR to a small WD portable USB HD.
    Then I connected the Wd USB HD to my computer and opened the files in the EXT2EXPLORE program. I then selected the files I needed and saved them to the Hard Drive on my computer. There I am able to access the files and edit them.
    Problem solved. Thank you.
    How did you transfer the files to the portable HD? I just went and got a Motorola 6416 III so I could get my grandson's hockey playoff game that was taped by the cable company. I have been going nuts trying to figure out how to do what you did. I have called tech support for both the cable company and Motorola and apparently even though this box has a million ports of every kind it doesn't have the software in it to make them work. I will still try though. But for example if I hook up a drive to the PVR what do I use to move the file ie I assume I also have to have a computer attached somehow in order to manipulate?
    At least now I know these things are Linux based which is a help.

If it has an Ethernet port, add it to your Network ... so you can access it from a Windows machine on the same network. Now you can use Windows Explorer to drag & drop files between most any drives available on the network.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If it has an Ethernet port, add it to your Network ... so you can access it from a Windows machine on the same network. Now you can use Windows Explorer to drag & drop files between most any drives available on the network.
    Thanks Doc,

It does have an ethernet port but I can not see the device on my home network. It may have to do with my ineptness at networking or I wonder if the port does not work on purpose due to the cable company, Cogeco who supplied it. Usually when I hook an ethernet wire to a computer or other device I see a tiny light start flashing. I'm not seeing that here so I wonder if that's an indication that the port is dead or not connected. I disabled the security in my wireless router but that hasn't helped. I really appreciate your help and I will keep trying but so far no luck.

The port may need to be enabled. (Similar to the way you can enable/disable some hardware in a computer's BIOS).

Once enabled, it'll then need to be setup to work on your particular network. The manual should contain instructions . . . at least something about how to get in to start setting it up.

Thanks Doc,
    I believe the cable company I rented it from (Cogeco) has all ports disabled deliberately to prevent people from trying to get the movies out. They told me to call Motorola for a "driver". Motorola apologized and said that it is the cable company's "software" that at this time does not allow you to access what is on the hard drive. Where there is a will there is a way as you know, so I will keep trying until something works. The crummy manual they provide only shows you how t hook up your TV and order movies etc with nothing about all the many ports that are basically dead. Maybe I should take it apart and see if I can get the hard drive out

Ah, i see.

You may be able to get to the hard drive but, it may be using some type of protection, (proprietary connectors or file system and/or some type of hardware encrypted storage, etc.).

I find an article proving two solutions to transfer and copy PVR videos and movies to DVD. The first method is the solution provided by by
    oigle using Ext2 Explore software. The second one is to use a PVR to DVD Converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbetter View Post
    I find an article proving two solutions to transfer and copy PVR videos and movies to DVD. The first method is the solution provided by by
    oigle using Ext2 Explore software. The second one is to use a PVR to DVD Converter.
    Thanks for the link.

Get a TV recorder for your laptop. This is usually a USB device you can plug into your computer or laptop, then connect the PVR to it, and use the included software to record what you play on the PVR.

Thread Information