Change "Send to" behavior for JPG images in Windows 7

Thread: Change "Send to" behavior for JPG images in Windows 7

Question Change "Send to" behavior for JPG images in Windows 7

Hi guys, it's been a while I'm back with a problem that's been driving me nuts.

I have set up for my dad a new PC with Windows 7 (x64, Home Edition) and Windows Live Mail aka Outlook Express' replacement. It is the default e-mail client with a POP3/SMTP account, nothing related to Microsoft Live services. I have also installed the client software for a Brother networked printer/scanner - I'll get to it in a second.

Windows Live Mail (WLM) comes with a handy dandy feature for sharing large photos: instead of attaching them as files to the e-mail, it can upload the images on the Live service, and create a neat "Photo Album" e-mail with thumbnails linked to the high-res images online.

Sounds great, but I don't want to use the Live service at all, and would LOVE to disable this altogether. So there's a workaround, in WLM Options I can tell it NOT to convert image attachments into a photo album. And that's fine when I create a new e-mail and start attaching JPG files manually.

However, when I use Windows Explorer to browse to my files, right-click a JPG file and use the "Send to > E-mail recipient" option, this sends the JPG file to the default e-mail client (WLM) aaaaaand... inserts the image as a Photo Album.

Drat.

Now, this wouldn't be much of an annoyance, as my dad never uses the "Send to" feature. But the Brother application has a "Scan to e-mail" button which scans the document with some preset image settings, saves it as a JPG file, then sends it to the default e-mail program. And this follows exactly the same route as the "Send to" option, creating a Photo Album instead of regular file attachments!

I know, there's also the option to scan to file then manually attach the files to the e-mail, but the tinkerer in me can't settle for such a constraint So I need to know how to change the "Send to" behavior for JPG files in Windows 7 + Windows Live Mail, so that it creates a regular e-mail with attachments instead of a Photo Album.

For what it's worth, doing a Send to > E-mail recipients for PDF files creates a blank e-mail with the file attached. And if I configure the Brother scan utility to save the output as PDF instead of JPG, the Scan to email also attaches the PDF to the blank message. I want the same functionality for JPG files.

Thanks in advance
    Hammer owner, will fix computers free of charge.

puterfixer--Once in the New email message, click the space where you want the image to appear, click Insert|Image file. Then navigate to the image file you want to use, right click on it and choose Select.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hey Jim Thank you for the reply, but that's not what I am looking for...

Here's what's happening now: I select some files in Windows Explorer and use right-click > Send to > E-mail recipient. For PDFs, ZIPs or other file types, Windows opens up a new e-mail message with the files selected attached as files (expected behavior). However, for JPGs, Windows opens a new e-mail message with the images inserted as a "Photo Album" inside the message body, and expecting to upload the images on Microsoft Live servers (annoying, undesired behavior).

My goal is to find out how to make Windows insert JPG files as file attachments in the new e-mail, exactly as it is doing now for the other file types. I don't want it to create a new "Photo Album" e-mail for JPGs anymore, nor to display the images inline in the message body.
    Last edited by puterfixer; October 20th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Check the file associations for the .jpg files to see if there is an unwanted sendto entry.

Possibly useful links:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=...4d6326654cadfa

I am also very interested in the correct answer for puterfixer's problem. The only way I can send photos to my sister in-law's cell phone from my email account is by sending them as an attachment. That is the only way that Alltel will allow their cell phone customers to receive a photo from an email account (has to be an attachment). She doesn't have the Internet, so it would do no good for it to be sent to an album somewhere on the Internet.

Puterfixer, I hope they help you solve your problem because then it will also solve my problem! I just got a new computer with Windows 7 but have not set it up yet.

Lots of luck,
    Last edited by gypsy63; October 21st, 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added a word.
    Sheila

Puterfixer: I have been researching your problem because it may also become my problem when I try to send an attachment from my PC to a Alltel cell phone. The following link may not be an exact fix, but maybe some of the information here will help lead you to a solution. If so, would you please post the solution if you find it. Here is the link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...ail-win7.html/

Good luck,
    Sheila

gypsy63--Where should we be looking in http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...ail-win7.html/ ?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I don't know why that link did not come up properly in my previous post. I am going to post it here without the thingy (don't know what you call it) at the top.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...mail-win7.html

In case this link does not work either, the question was posted just as, "Windows Live Mail in Win7" under the category, "Browsers & Mail". The person who posted it was, Tullynally.

(When I did a preview of the link in this post, it looked like the earlier link, but when I look a the original link that I copied and paste, it has more information in in the address than what the preview shows me--a glitch on this site?)

(Trying again with the Thingy at the top):
    http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...mail-win7.html

Had to search my history to find the link again. Let me know what you think of this post. I think that poppa bear's post may lead to the correct answer here.

Sorry the link didn't work right, hope this one does.
    Sheila
    Sheila

Thank you for the extra research, Sheila! SevenForums doesn't allow hotlinking to a thread so the first visit always gets you to the front page to set some cookies, but the second click on the same link goes to the right discussion thread.

I think I'll end up installing Windows Live Mail on my PC just to be able to tinker with it, it's easier than trying things out over the occasional remote support for dad's PC

puterfixer: Were you able to find the post I was talking about? And if so, was there any information in the post to help you figure out a solution to your problem. I would really like to know the solution if you ever figure it out because as I said, the only way I can send my sister in-law photos in Texas is to her cell phone from my PC--and Alltell will only allow photos to be sent by attachments and she does not have the Internet on her cell phone.

Good Luck Figuring It Out,
    Sheila

Thread Information