Not sure how to explain but here does. I'm basically a novice so forgive me if I've messed up the correct technical explanation.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 7500 with Windows XP SP3. I have a wireless home internet connection. For my teenager, we bought a Mac laptop with an Apple Airport router and changed everything over to the new router connection for both computers to have internet access. The change over was simple and the Mac connects to the internet with no problems however we cannot get the Dell laptop to connect with the Internet. We’ve tried everything. The Internet signal to the Dell is very strong so it’s not the airport setup. For the Dell, I put in the web key encryption and that’s okay too. However, I noticed that the Dell only has WEP and our security is now WAP2. Is this the problem and does Dell or Windows XP have an update fix for this? Also, for the Dell I use an Orinoco classic gold PC card. It’s has the old WEP chipset and there is no update for it. If I bought a new pc card that has WAP2, will this do the trick? If so, can you recommend a wireless WAP2 pc card that is compatible with the Inspiron 7500.

Finally, if there is a Dell or Windows download update that will take care of everything - great, but unfortunately, since I can’t access the Internet from the Dell, I can’t download anything to upgrade. PS – I’m using the Mac to send this email.

Thanks in advance.