HP G4050 Slide scanning software does not load
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP G4050 Slide scanning software does not load

HP G4050 Slide scanning software does not load

New HP G4050 scanner, Windows XP. The software which enables slide scanning does not seem to load. I can't find it anywhere, even in the Program Files folder. I've loaded the installation CD three times but the slide-scanning software does not seem to be on the computer anywhere.

I'm posting this for a friend. Thanks in advance for any replies.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Did you get the transparency adapter with this scanner? According to HP you need that adapter to be able to scan negatives and slides.

from HP...35 mm slides and negatives (using transparent materials adapter)

Hi photolady, you used to help me a lot...thanks. I haven't been on here for a year or two.

To answer your question, he has all the necessary hardware and has previously scanned many thousands of slides on an HP scanner the next model down from the G4050. He had an icon (a shortcut) on his desktop that would bring up the program necessary for scanning slides. Suddenly both the shortcut icon and the shortcut target disappeared, nowhere to be found. After fooling around with it for a couple weeks, he finally bought this new G4050, because it will take 16 slides at a time, and installed the software but, just like the other scanner, the shortcut to the slide-scanning program did not show up on the desktop and the target program seems not to be loaded. Can't even find it in the Program Files folder or in START/PROGRAMS. It will scan other things but not slides because the software for doing so is missing. Weird problem. Ken

I can't get to HP support site right now. I get a "Service Unavailable" message.

When he installed this scanner, did he uninstall the previous scanner's software from add/remove, and deleted the HP folder under Program files?

I know he uninstalled the former HP software via Add/Remove Programs but I don't know if he deleted the HP folder in Program Files. I'll call him and make sure he does that. I suppose he should delete all HP references in the Registry too but I doubt that he would know how to do that safely.

Yes, the registry entries should be removed also but if this man doesn't know how to use the registry, it would probably be a bad idea to do that. Did he install the software first before connecting the scanner to the computer?

Also, is he using the HP Solutions Center to scan with? I've been reading the manual for this scanner and that's what it says to use to scan anything with this scanner. Or he can use the scan film button.

I don't know in which order he installed things, I'll call him and see. He lives about 250 miles from here and I think he just went to the grocery store. I forget.....can you reveal the registry files by using the main SEARCH program (as long as the folder options/view is set to display program files)? In order to remove HP junk from the registry, I suppose he'll have to have a step by step procedure.....they are likely scattered all over the place. Are you still working at the computer shop? Ken

When installing operating software for the G4050, is it necessary to right click on the .exe file and specify which operating system you have? He has XP, SP2 or 3.

If he is unfamiliar with removing items in the registry, I wouldn't have him do that. I since I can't get to HP's support site to get instructions on what needs to be removed, just tell him to uninstall the software from Add/Remove and delete the folder in Program Files on his C drive.

The problem with removing keys in the Registry for HP could be disastrous because there are entries in there for HP but not all are related to his scanner. XP comes with some HP drivers and if those are removed it could break the xp load and he'd have to either repair xp or reinstall it.

If he has the cd all he needs to do is insert the cd in the cd/dvd drive and it should open automatically. Click Install software to install the scanning software. Follow the onscreen
    instructions to complete the scanning software installation. Remember to tell him not to connect the scanner to the computer until after the software is installed.

He shouldn't be right clicking on anything. The cd has an auto install function. Even if he did have only the downloaded software from HP, all he'd need to do is double click the exe file. He would not need to right click and chose his operating system.

OK, thank you. I'm not familiar with the G4050 so I'm flying blind here. Thank you very much for your help. Ken

You're welcome. I have finally got into HP's support site on this scanner. I'm now trying to find info on why this is not working for him. When you talk to him, ask him it's the HP Solution Center that's missing.

OK, I'll ask him. Thanks again!

photolady, I wrote and asked Charles what program he is missing.....what was the name of the missing program that was opened by the missing desktop icon. He couldn't remember exactly what the name of the program was but here is what he said "The shortcut opened the page where you configure the scanner for photos-35 MM-color- B & W-OCR
    resolution, where to send and all kinda that stuff. That page just isn't there."

Sounds to me like he's not uninstalled the old software and it still trying to get that software to work with the new scanner. The program HP uses is, the HP Solutions Center. Some programs will leave the shortcut icon even after uninstalling the program.

One other thing he can try and that is system restore. Roll back to before he uninstalled the previous software, then uninstall it, and delete the icon from the desktop, restart the computer and then install the new software. I think it's conflicting with whatever software was left from old software when he tries to install the new one.

Found more info on uninstalling HP's software.

Uninstall the HP scanning software
    Disconnect the cables from the HP Scanjet scanner.
    Click Start , then click Control Panel . The Control Panel will open.
    Double-click Add/Remove Programs , then highlight Precisionscan (LT, LTX, or Pro) and click Change/Remove .
    Click Yes to remove Precisionscan and all of its components.
    Click Yes to All on the shared files warning screen.
    Click OK to close the Control Panel window.

Make sure he's doing the step that is bolded in the next to last procedure. Also, restart the computer before he tries to install the new software.

OK, photolady, I'll pass that information on. As usual, thank you very much. Ken

Thread Information