[RESOLVED] No print

Thread: [RESOLVED] No print

Resolved [RESOLVED] No print

Try;ing to get my old, but in excellent shape Laser II printer to work with Win 7 Pro. Downloaded driver from net. All seems to work as it should, but when command to printe test page is given, all the printer LED lights go out and the system just hands. Get note on printer: Error 50, SERVICE. That's it. Up to the print command point, all seems to be well. Thoughts and help always appreciated. OR, should I just buy a new $100 laser. Use this printer just for black and white stuff. Still, it would be nice to hold on to this monster, since it is in such good shape. Have to admit that it stood idle for many months. Much thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

Was the printer working OK when you last used it? If service is required, and the printer is in otherwise good shape, and supplies and parts are still available, it might be worth fixing. The newer LaserJets are not nearly as reliable as the nearly bulletproof LaserJet II's.

Links:

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...ii-/40902.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_Q3BRg

Get note on printer: Error 50, SERVICE
    That's a fuser error. If you mean a Laserjet II, it's not worth the cost to repair.

Laser II

Thanks to both. Figured it was going to be a root canal fix, and we all know how much those hummers cost. Trying to dump it is going to be a problem. Maybe I could gift wrap it, leave it on the neighbors doorstep with note: Do not open until Christmas. I have no expertese in replacing fusher units, so will try and coax Santa to pony up for a small one, just to do line work, word processing, and save the MFP for the good stuff. Again, thanks for the guidance, frankness. Really, in this area we have a superb "junk" depot with specific trucks labeled for parts. Merry Christmas and a real Happy One. Jim S.
    Jim S.

shame

Shame though, I have an unused II toner cartridge, and the on onboard is practically new. Will turn 'em in for a three dollar rewards credit at nearby S and O D stores. Jim S
    Jim S.

You could maybe sell it on Ebay for spares?
    Nick.

spare

Thanks, Sparks: The thing weighs a ton, so shipping costs could be prohibitive. Scanned the net,and there are some fuser kits for sale, redone, and cheap, but would have to tear the insides out of the present printer. I played around with the power, and got a gimmer of hope, whe the READY sign came on, but quickly disappeared. Will try putting it on a power sourceall by itself, and see what happens. It does turn down the lights when it comes on, always has when working. The house is relatively new,and i don't think there are any heavy duty fuses, circuit breakers installed. Seems on the newer home they were stingy with the amp on the breakers I think mine are 15/20 at the max. Still, at one time, the printer did work with this arrangement.Thanks, again. Jim S
    Jim S.

Do you really want to spend money on a 20+ year old printer?

There are other common problems with the LJII, including the paper timing PCB, cooling fan, power supply, separation pads, etc.

post holiday sale

You're right! That post-holiday laser deskop for about $105, not inlcuding tax, is sure gonna look nice, and give me some additional space to put things on. An old Penna Dutch saying. Like put out the light, the hurrier I go, the behinder I get. Thanks to all. It's a matter of hefting that II into the back of the station wagon, and off to ??????. Thanks to all. Jim S )
    Jim S.

That post-holiday inexensive laser printer will have to wait. Between the information I gleened from this site, and putting on the thinking cap, decided to unplug the monster, and put it on a circuit all by itself. You got it! The thing hummed to life, dimmed the surrounding lights, and printed. Did a couple of tests and all seemed, for now, to work ok. Will keep it for a while, and see how things go along, as it's a waste to dump it right now. Yes, even on its own connect point, minus a power surge protector, it does seem to like to suck up the electricity, and prefers to standalone Thanks again, to all. Jim S
    Jim S.

Jim1 -

The older HP's do use more power, and a separate circuit will definitely help. As for the $105 laser printers, the ones I have tried, including HP's, had fusers that lasted about as long as 1 toner cartridge. A $250 laser or MFP would be a better choice.

Thanks for the note, jdc2000. I have a Brother MFC6490jCW that I use for pic and fussy stuff, and will use the HP Laser II for regular, non-critical work. Thanks, again. Jim S
    Jim S.

Thread Information