Files are "Read-Only"

Thread: Files are "Read-Only"

Files are "Read-Only"

New Win 7 64 bit Home Premium. My word files (probably others too) are showing as "read only" and can't be saved.

Thanks
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

Have you right-clicked on them and unchecked Read-only?

Did you copy them from CD or DVD by any chance? If so, they will all have been marked read-only, and you will need to do what jdc2000 said

If you have loads of files, go to the Command Prompt, navigate to the folder where they are, and type "attrib -R *.*" without the quotes, and that will unmark all the files in that folder.
    Nick.

My files aren't checked as read-only. I did something this morning that took me to an
    advanced tab (I think I was trying to fix my color management problem) and it had
    a checked read-only dialogue, and when I unchecked it I got this ominous warning
    saying "do you want all of your files to be changed from read-only", and I got scared and said no. I know there are logs of everything that happens, but I can't interpret them
    yet. I'm just going to try and go wherever i was and see if I can find that dialogue box.
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

The only drive on which this happened was my external USB. Right clicking on Properties,
    I found the Sharing subfolder, gave "everyone" permission, and problem was ended.
    I've found that the slider in User Account Control, when left at the bottom,
    offers few problems but moving it up even halfway forces me to log on to all apps
    as administrator. That's okay but it would have been nice to know before I freaked about being unable to open Photoshop. So this is resolved.
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

Thread Information